Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Severance Denied for Raising FMLA By Employer NOT Covered by FMLA

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Severance Denied for Raising FMLA By Employer NOT Covered by FMLA

    I would appreciate any thoughts on the following situation in CA:
    1. Employee terminated the day after coming back from paternity leave.
    2. Employee offered 4 months severance.
    3. Employee raises issue of FMLA and gets attorney who calls company.
    4. Company outside attorney responds (possibly correctly) that it is too small to fall under FMLA guidelines.
    5. Company withdraws severance offer due to employee bringing up issue of FMLA (in part, because it cost the company money to get a lawyer to examine issue). Other similarly situationed employees offered severance.

    Do any FMLA or other laws regarding retaliation apply to company that is too small to fall under FMLA leave?

    Additional note: Terminated employee's wife had severe medical problems during pregnancy (including being bedridden for 2 months) which prevented him from travelling. Baby was also born with medical problems that would have caused employee to take leave - so seems that company didn't want to risk having an employee who could not travel.

    Last edited by treckerj; 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM.

  • #2
    There is no law that requires an employer to pay severence


    • #3

      (It has more posts/answers - duplicate thread)
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.