This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA pregnancy leave and workers comp claim California

I was just put on leave from work due to a work injury (until my next doctor evaluation). I coincidentally found out I was pregnant the same day and my OB has given me a note stating it is recommended that I not lift over 25lbs, which make me unable to do my job. My employer gave me the option of light duty for my work injury, which I declined. They then gave me the option of light duty due to my pregnancy, but the light duty is a complete different job and schedule. Is it safe to assume I can use SDI for the duration of my pregnancy (I am only 5 wks) because my doctor deemed me physically unable to do my job?

I wasn't clear if the light duty in conjunction with the work injury was a different shift or not, but the employer is generally allowed to move you to a different shift/schedule to accommodate light duty restrictions. Declining light duty will likely end any WC benefits you may have received.

I don't know about SDI, but the fact that you declined ANY light duty is not going to bode well. The doctor gave you specific restrictions, the employer tried to acccommodate them and you refused.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My job is a field paramedic on a 911 ambulance. I work a 24hr schedule (about 10 to 12 shifts a month). The light duty offer was for a 8-5 position doing any odd jobs they can find at our county office. Does the doctor's note deem me disabled from MY job and qualify me for SDI?

Comment

That's what I figured. Possibly. I do know that refusal to perform light duty will generally end your WC benefits.

Endeavor? (Endeavor is another responder here who is more expert on CA WC/STD than I am.)
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am not getting the WC benefit payments (the claim was just filed) so I am not worried about that. I am just concerned about getting the SDI for my pregnancy.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X