This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability law Ohio

As a truck driver I am required to pass a physical every two years. If I fail the physical, say for high blood pressure, I cannot drive. My company offers a short term disability for 26 weeks, paid by the company, and long term disabililty which is paid for by me. My question is, if I refuse to take prescribed medication to lower my blood pressure, can my benefits be denied?

Only someone who has read your disability policy can answer that question. It is a matter of the insurance contract, not of law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with cbg, but let's look at the logic here.

If your condition can be controlled by medication, and you refuse to take it, why WOULD the insurance company pay? Not having ready the policy, I can't say, but I would think that the policy requires the individual to try to mitigate the condition. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Of course this is all "what if", however, we have drivers here that are borderline high blood pressure, and they have personal issues with medication.

Comment

Wish I'd known that earlier. I don't do hypothetical.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't know what type of personal issues you are talking about (ie religious, just don't like to take medication, side effects from the medication ....). If it is side effects, sometimes a change in medication will work.

However; since this is hypothetical, no use pursuing this thread/post any further. The overall answer to your question is it depends on the ins. policy/ins. co. whether benefits will be paid or not after a review of all information.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry folks, newbie mistake. Won't happen again.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X