This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFL/FMLA - California father

Our daughter was born end of january and is still in the NICU. Can I apply for PFL since we do not currently know when she will be able to come home? As a father, and I protected under FMLA?

Last Friday, my employer and I had a discussion regarding converting my current employment to a contractor basis as he has been concerned about my presence in the office (although a bulk of my work can be done remotely). Do they have a right to change me from an employee to a contractor? What protection is there for me to maintain my employment status with the company? At no time in the past month has my compensation ever come up as an issue while I worked from home and also dealt with the hospital/doctors/etc due to the premature birth of our daughter.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-i gotta reduce some of my stress somehow... hope these forums help

You can apply for PFL regardless of any circumstance.

However, do you qualify for a leave under FMLA/CFRA? That is the only way that you will get a job protected leave of absence for which you can use PFL.

Have you

1. been employed more than one year
    2. worked more than 1250 hours in the last year

3. Does your employer have more than 50 employees in a 75 mile radius?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X