This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMLA & Disability from an out of state employer Texas

I work for a California company here in Houston, Tx. I work at a high pressure sales job and was having major concentration issues. I was diagnosed with sever Bi-Polar/Manic Depressive disorder. I am on FMLA right now while I am getting my medicaiton/counceling in order so I can mentally do my job properly. I didn't really know what FMLA was, I was just told that if I wanted to keep my job and get the help I needed, I needed to file for it, so I did. What they did not tell me is they took away my base salary and am only paying me on the commissions I earned. This is giving me about a 5k hit! The company ONLY offers short term disability IF you live in CA.... so know what do I do? Can I apply for STD somewhere? Is there any assistance for someone like me? Because of the paycut, I can't make rent this month which is causing me more stress making my condition worse.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just really want to get adjusted and get back to work ASAP but need to LIVE until I can do that.

Thanks for having this website!

Hope

FMLA is, by definition, unpaid leave.

Texas is not one of the five states which has a mandatory state disability program. Since your company does not offer a company-sponsored plan, your would have had to have purchased an individual disability insurance policy for partial income replacement.

I'm sorry this is not the answer you wanted to hear. If you have any sick or vacation time on the books, you can request that be used to provide some income while you are off work.

County Public Welfare may be able to provide some help in the form of food stamps, utility payments and, if you are medically disabled, perhaps some cash assistance. Charitable organizations may be able to provide some help although, as you might imagine, they are stretched pretty thin these days.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks!

Oh I understand... I did apply for it a year or so ago and was turned down. So since I am uninsurable on my own and I live in Texas, I am not dancing the happy dance am I? haha

I thank you for answering me. This helps me plan my next step.

Hope

Comment

FMLA is up to 12 weeks of unpaid job protected leave.

I'm sorry but Texas (unlike Ca.) does not have a required state disability ins. plan though some employers might have a disability plan even though not required. Your employer apparently doesn't & I assume you have no individual plan. You wouldn't be able to get/apply for STD at this time anywhere while you are out on disability.

You might be able to get some help/assistance from your local United Way Agency or other local charity.

P.S. Patty, you & I were replying/typing at the same time but you got your reply submitted off first. (even hehorne's 2nd post wasn't there when I started my reply)
        Last edited by Betty3; 03-02-2009, 12:06 AM. Reason: add P.S.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          P.S. Patty, you & I were replying/typing at the same time but you got your reply submitted off first.
          Well, at least he got two opinions that agree with each other.
          Morning, fellow insomniac.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It's not really good morning yet for me. I haven't gone to bed yet. It will be good night later.

edited to add: Good night - I'm calling it a night & going to bed - "see" you later today. Betty3 3-2-09 5:20am cst
            Last edited by Betty3; 03-02-2009, 02:20 AM.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X