This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On disability then laid off New York

I have been on disability for the max 26 weeks because of surgery. I was scheduled by my doctor for returning to work Monday March 2nd because I was fully recovered. I handed in the medical paper to my work and the next day I got a call saying I no longer had a job.

I'm 99% I can get unemployment. My question is what is the program in NY state where I can go to college for 2 years and still collect unemployment benefits during this period? I went to the NY state unemployment website and can't find it.

This has nothing to do with disability benefits.

I am not aware of any such program as you describe but NY is not my state. Perhaps you should call the NY Unemployment office.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You may or may not be able to get UI benefits, depending on when you stopped getting wages. You have nothing to lose by filing, though.
      http://www.labor.state.ny.us/formsdocs/ui/TC318_3e.pdf
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        You may or may not be able to get UI benefits, depending on when you stopped getting wages. You have nothing to lose by filing, though.
        http://www.labor.state.ny.us/formsdocs/ui/TC318_3e.pdf

Im pretting sure I would qualify here are my wages below, check if I do pattmd

Quarter 4 2007 $3590
        Quarter 1 2008 $5710
        Quarter 2 2008 $5620
        Quarter 3 2008 $2200 (started disability around 8-3-2008)
        Quarter 4 2008 $ 0 ( on disability whole time)
        Quarter 1 2009 $ 0 ( on disability whole time)

Laid off on 2-25-09 when I was suppose to go back to work on 3-2-09.

Due I qualify with these wages?

Comment

I would think so, yes. In any case, I always recommend people file, you have nothing to lose by filing.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Going to college

Several years ago I was in the program where I was able to go to college (for free) and continued to collect unemployment benefits in NY. I was already matriculated at a community college when I was laid off and took advantage of the program. I have no idea if the program is still in place.

I found out about the program in a pamphlet that was handed out during a mandatory in-person session when I applied for unemployment (this may not be required anymore). It was not mentioned by anyone; it was not posted anywhere. It was a short paragraph in the back of a pamphlet. It mentioned checking into whether I qualified for continuing education (it may have said retraining) while on unemployment.

The chosen course of study had to be one that the NYS Dept of Labor considered to be 'in demand.' They had a listing of those, once I asked someone about it at my local DOL office, and they gave me the web address to go to.

I was in the program for a year, and I was paid unemployment the entire time.
            Good luck!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X