This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out on maternity leave/disability during probationary period California

We have a new employee who is in her probationary period and we fully intend to make her a permanent part of our staff at the end of the probation. My questions is this...we hired her when she was expecting and for two months during her probationary period (for our organization it's 6-months) she went out on maternity/disability leave. Does that stop the clock or do we have to include the two months as part of her 6 month probation? Is it discriminatory to not count the time she was on disabilty?

What would you do for another employee who had a broken leg and had to be out? Whatever you do in that situation, you should do in the case of pregnancy.

In my company, probation would stop while the person was out on leave and then start up again when the person returned. The time out would not count toward the probation period. It is written in our policy manual that way so we handle all cases like that.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thx. It's actually never happened before, babies, broken legs or otherwise. We are doing a total revamp on our policies and we'll be sure to address this because it's not in our policies now. My inclination is to stop the clock but I thought it might be unlawful since she was on short term disability.

Comment

No, there is nothing unlawful about stopping the clock while out on disability.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

thx all.

Comment

Sure, you're welcome.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Policies should be laid out and known to employees. Like if you intend to not count the days or months your employee was on leave then it should be contained in your employee's manual.
              -------------------
              Employment Lawyers

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X