This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMLA for new birth Colorado

I am pregnant (DD-5/14) & trying to arrange 12 weeks of FMLA for my maternity leave. My HR office today told me that I couldn't take 12 weeks for as they put it 'sitting at home & bonding with the baby' if I or my baby wasn't sick. They said the most I could take was 8 weeks. I have never used FMLA before. I thought FMLA covered the birth of a newborn for up to 12 weeks period. Am I wrong & can't take 12 weeks?

You can get up to a total of 12 weeks. That includes time for the birth, the bonding after birth, and any time before the birth for doctor's appointments, pre-natal care, morning sickness, etc. You do not get 12 weeks after the birth unless you took NO time before.

That being said, were you looking to take the bonding time all in a block immediately after the birth, or intermittantly after returning to work?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I plan on starting leave a week before my due date, & taking the 12 weeks in one block, so it would be approx. 11 weeks after she is born, & I do know I have to include any sick/vacation time I have accrued towards that total.

Comment

If you qualify for FMLA: worked for your employer for at least 12 mos., worked at least 1,250 hrs. for the employer in the 12 mos. immediately preceding the leave & work at a location with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius -- you get a total of 12 weeks of unpaid job protected leave for the arrival of a new child. Congratulations.

You may choose or your employer may require that you use any accrued vacation days, or unspecified PTO days during an unpaid FMLA leave. In addition, an employee can choose or an employer can require an employee to use accrued paid sick days during an unpd. FMLA leave, but only if the employee takes FMLA leave for a reason for which the employee could otherwise use sick days.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you for your help!!

Comment

You're welcome.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X