This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability and Vacation/Sick Time New Jersey

In New Jersey is an employee who is out on workmen's comp disability entitled to carry over vacation and/or sick time into the following year when the CBA does not state he/she can. Does anyone know of any case law pertaining to this issue.

That is entirely a matter of company policy. It is not addressed by either Federal or NJ law (or, for that matter, the law of most states).
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks for information

Thanks cbg for the information and quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by JAndersonnj View Post
        In New Jersey is an employee who is out on workmen's comp disability entitled to carry over vacation and/or sick time into the following year when the CBA does not state he/she can. Does anyone know of any case law pertaining to this issue.

Although I'm not from NJ, it's always been my understanding that if no 'rollover' language is present then unused vacation and personal time is paid out at years end.

On the other hand if past practice has been established and allowed carry-over then that might be a different story, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by berford View Post
          Although I'm not from NJ, it's always been my understanding that if no 'rollover' language is present then unused vacation and personal time is paid out at years end.

On the other hand if past practice has been established and allowed carry-over then that might be a different story, I guess.
          Not necessarily. It depends on the state. Certain states do not permit vacation time to be "lost" in which case it must be rolled over or paid out. This is not true of other types of leave (sick, holiday, etc.).

There is however, nothing in any states' WC regulations that requires and employer to have a different policy for leave payout or carry over simply by virtue of the fact that the employee has been off for a work related injury.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            Not necessarily. It depends on the state. Certain states do not permit vacation time to be "lost" in which case it must be rolled over or paid out. This is not true of other types of leave (sick, holiday, etc.).
            I believe you are correct. I recently (2006) had an arbitration where back-pay was awarded to the grievant. However, unused personal time was not paid. Thew reasoning was that the grievant had to be scheduled to work in order to ask for this time off. Since he was not working actively, he was not able to ask for the time off.

Something that one may wish to bear in mind also is how vacation time is calculated. If vacation time in 2008 is given based on hours worked in 2007 (accrued) then it cannot be 'lost'. Most employers that I deal with pay it out at year end rather than roll it over.

If 2008 vacation time is awarded for anticipated hours worked in 2008 then it has not yet been earned and may be pro-rated at termination.

Comment

If vacation time in 2008 is given based on hours worked in 2007 (accrued) then it cannot be 'lost'.

That is state specific - while it is true in many states it is not true in all. NJ is one state where that is NOT true.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                That is state specific - while it is true in many states it is not true in all. NJ is one state where that is NOT true.
                So in NJ and other states it could be legal for an employer to keep unused accrued vacation time? Sorry if it sounds like I'm just chasing my own tail (tale?), but I'm getting confused by your postings

That is entirely a matter of company policy. It is not addressed by either Federal or NJ law (or, for that matter, the law of most states).

Comment

A very few states prohibit use-it-or-lose-it vacation policies and those states require payout at termination. However, short of that, vacation "rollover" and whether or not it must be paid out at termination are really two separate issues.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

In N.J. whether vacation earned has to "rollover" is a matter of contract law. (whether they are contractually bound)
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

So in NJ and other states it could be legal for an employer to keep unused accrued vacation time?

That is correct. Only about half the states require the payout of unused vacation time, and even among those states, some of them only require it if company policy so states. It is by no means universal that vacation time is unconditionally granted. Use it or lose it policies are legal in more states than they are not.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X