Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

NJ and ST Disability/Health Insurance New Jersey

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NJ and ST Disability/Health Insurance New Jersey

    I have worked for a company for over 4 years with approx. 40 employees.
    This fall I may have to go out on short term disability for a month or two. My company will keep my health insurance with myself paying my regular portion of the premium and them paying their portion until I return. My company posts a 'policy' that "a failure to return from leave will require the employee to reimburse the company for it's costs of benefits continued during leave."
    I am just double checking can they legally force me to pay back their portion of health insurance benefits during the time I am on short term disability -if I choose to not return? If I was on unpaid sick leave I would expect this but if I am considered temporarily disabled is the law the same?

  • #2
    Yes. The Family and Medical Leave Act allows employers to recoup the costs of insurance premiums paid for employees who do not return to work.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!


    • #3
      Just to be clear; if you CHOOSE not to return the law specifically gives them the right to require you to repay insurance premiums.

      If you are unable to return due to continued illness they cannot
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.