Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Ohio - leaving state during FMLA

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ohio - leaving state during FMLA

    I have a relative in Ohio who has worked for a company for 25+ yrs and now has a chronic condition requiring her to take a medical leave. She has applied for FMLA and STD. Once approved we want to move her out of state to live with us so we can take care of her (she has no family in Ohio). Could this move threaten her FMLA protected leave or STD benefits?

    We're not sure if she could return to work or not with this condition. But we want to leave all doors open to her and continue medical and other benefits as long as possible.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    I don't see any problem as you have described it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      One caveat. I would make sure this relative indicates to the employer that they are leaving the state in order to stay with relatives and receive medical care. Little makes an employer more suspicious than hearing that an employee is visiting with family while out on leave or being unable to reach them at home when they claim to be off ill.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.