This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired for alcohol rehab? Tennessee

my son works for a very large corporation. The corp is based in CA but he works in TN. Since CA is an "at will" employer, can he be fired for checking in to an alcohol rehab facility?

He works in Tennessee, their law (and Federal ones, too) would apply, not those of California.

Alcoholism is protected to some extent by Federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act). Allowing leave to a recovering alcoholic, which is what I would call someone voluntarily entering rehab, would be a reasonable accomodation.

I think the company is on very thin ice if they terminate him because of the rehab.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by gaburgergirl View Post
      my son works for a very large corporation. The corp is based in CA but he works in TN. Since CA is an "at will" employer, can he be fired for checking in to an alcohol rehab facility?
      If your son has worked for this company for 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours during those twelve months, then he qualifes for up to 12 weeks of medical leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. As long as he applies for leave with his employer and he and his doctor complete the necessary paperwork timely, there's no way your son can be fired for taking medical leave.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X