This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laid off for questionable reasons in Massachusetts

On Dec 31st, I returned to work after being out on STD/FMLA leave for approximately 7 weeks due to work releated stress, anxiety & severe depression. Our office is extremely under-staffed and very busy, yet I was laid off on Friday (1/11) due to "profitability reasons". I was the "senior" account representative in the company and handled the work of 2-3 reps, yet they laid me off and kept other reps who can not handle their own share of the work and have made multiple, very costly mistakes. Does this sound like relatiation because of the leave of absence?

I don't work there so I don't know. Are there profitability problems? Were you the only employee let go? Did anyone ever say anything about the fact that you took leave? It sounds suspicious based on the timing but we only have your side and not even all the information on that.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It is very possible that there are some "profitability issues", the company is a manufacturing firm that has been having some production, delivery & quality issues. They employ approx 130 people and as far as I am aware, I was the only one laid off. I have spoken with some of my co-worker's who have stated that no one else has been laid off. Also, my direct supervisor, who the vice-president of sales & marketing for the company (and is pretty much the operations manager as well) was completely unaware of this until I contacted him while he was out on the road on Friday afternoon.

Some additional background info form the 3+ years I was employed, this company is privately owned by one person who has a history of "laying-off" anyone that he may have some type of issue or difference of opinion with. About 10 months out of the year, he is in Florida and is not involved with what is actually happening here, leaving my supervisor to handle the day to day management of the company.

Comment

It would not be illegal to be terminated because the owner has some differences of opinion with or issues with you.

However, it would be illegal to terminate you JUST for being out on FMLA leave. If you believe that is the ONLY reason for your termination, you can file a complaint with the federal DOL. (or a 2nd option is to file a lawsuit against your employer)
        Last edited by Betty3; 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X