Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Pennsylvania - Fired from hospital

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pennsylvania - Fired from hospital

    My mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor in Dec '05. In Jan '06, the surgery was done to remove the tumor. The hospital where the surgery took place is also the hospital where my mom worked for 2 years as a full time employee. Apr '06, she find out she has a staph infection in her head (on her brain and in the bone). She had to have surgery immediately to remove as much of the infection as possible, and the bone that was infected. Due to the swelling and time to create a custom plate for her skull, her final surgery was not until Aug '06. 3 days before her final surgery to put the plate in, she received a call from the hospital asking her to resign. She did not so they fired her. Was this legal?

  • #2
    If she was off work over 12 weeks last year because of the tumor prior to her being terminated, she would have used up her 12 weeks of FMLA protected job leave. (dx 12-05, final surgery 8-06) Therefore, it was not illegal for her employer to terminate her when they did since she could not yet return to work. It is up to the employer how much add'l. time (if any) they want to allow over the 12 wks. of FMLA.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.