X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMLA, EE's family member is out of country New Jersey

Hi All,

If you had an employee who needed FMLA to provide care to a spouse/parent/child who lived in a non-English speaking country, how would you go about getting the medical certification to prove it's FMLA and not a vacation?

Nancy

Been there, done that. I asked for a letter or note from the doctor to support the need for leave then got the letter translated if need be. Trying to explain the FMLA paperwork to a non-American doctor is like trying to teach a pig to sing, only slightly less sucessful.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Oh that's great! You had it translated, ha! I love it.

Comment

All the time. The majority of my employees were foreign born and multi-lingual. Even with employees in 42 countries and originating from dozens more, I never found a single doctor who wasn't able to at least write a letter explaining the need for leave.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

free translation for med cert form

You can type/cut-paste the link to the dol page with the med cert form and have it translated to any language for free at http://babelfish.altavista.com/
          You will have to get it translated by someone once it is returned to you though.

Comment

Transaltion is a great idea however, Doctors outside the U.S. still wouldn't have a clue about FMLA.
            Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Warning, I've tried that. Not with Babelfish and this exact form but others (you don't want to know the nightmare that was trying to get insurance claim forms completed or STD approved). The translations are not exact and in fact, many are off by quite a bit. I even had FMLA form translated professionally and found it still just confused the doctors. If they aren't used to completing these forms, it gets ugly. You can try it, but my experience has been it is simply easier to ask for a letter with the info you seek. If you can send a letter in the native language that explains you need to verify that the family member has a serious health condition, the relative is required to care for them, and the dates they need to do so, it helps. If you have a lot of expats, foreign nationals, TCNs and dual citizens, particularly if most are from a certain region or speak a particular language, it may be a good idea to have a basic letter translated and ready to send to the doctors as needed. It just saves you from having to reinvent the wheel each time.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X