X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbg
    replied
    We cannot refer specific attorneys.

You do want an employment attorney. You can contact your local legal aide office for suggestions or if there is a law school in your area, they can often also provide assistance.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

Thank you for all your assistance. Unfortunately, I received no reply from my boss either email or call back. I am so distraught. I really expected a reply.
    As you said, bottom line I got sick and needed time off and he didnt want to allow it. I have my doctor's appt tomorrow morning. Should I go directly to work after even if he hasnt replied? I dont want to be made a mockery.
    Can assist me of where I can find attornies or legal aid? Do I need a Labor attorney? what do I look for?
    I called on line and it is Veteran's Day so the offices are closed.
    I am really in a loss of words as I am now trying to think how I am going to pay my rent.
    I know life wasnt fair but not when you try your best and this happens.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Letting you take time off during work hours to see a doctor may or may not be a reasonable accomodation. What is reasonable varies greatly with the job and the employer; what might be reasonable for one position might not be reasonable for another; what is reasonable for IBM might not be reasonable for a company with only 15 employees. I agree that discussing the situation with an attorney might be the way to go at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    CalebNY - do as joec suggested & talk to an attorney & see what they can do for you. They can also answer all of your questions.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

Thank you Joec for your advice. Ive only informed 2 friends since I am embarrassed and saddened by all this.
    They directed me to contact an attorney. I went online but since this just happened this weekend many of them are closed.
    My friends believe they are using this excuse to get me up since they squeezed all my juices out and can hire someone at a lower rate. Whether thats the case, I am disappointed because I have given my all. Working outside my salaried 40 hours and now this happens.
    I am just not sure at this point what to do. Am I to report to work? Am I forced to apply for disability? Am I supposed to apply for unemployment?
    Do I start to look for a new job? What if my boss doesnt reply to me.

He stated in his email that my last paycheck will come from the company this Wed and I should use that date on my Disability. BUT he also said: they will find someone to replace me and cannot guarentee a job will be open when I return.
    He knows I plan to return this week on Tues after seeing my doctor in the morning. This will not cut into my work time as my shift that day is 2 thru 10.

This is too much. I never expected this.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

Hi I want to be discreet-thats how scared I am. I work in a customer service driven atmosphere where I am always on my feet answering customer questions and appeasing them at all times. I am a Supervisor- a manager.
    I have beenover performing since I started this post. Until this hit me.
    So I am trying to see what I can do. I am afraid as I am on my own here. I rely on my paycheck to survive. Nobody else help me. I never even thought of disability insurance and having them attach a form to the email really caught be sadly. I never even applied for unemployment and wouldnt know where to start and whether I am eligible.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    CalebNY - do you mind my asking what your job title is & particularly your job duties. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

I have been under doctor supervision and have the notes to verify. He approved for me to return as of Tuesday upon seeing him first. I am finally able to walk again, not run, but still want to work. I always worked since I was 16 and could not imagine not working especially with the holidays around the corner.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Whether or not the agreement is enforceable is not something we can answer. Only a lawyer who is versed in contract law can tell you if it is or not.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

Betty, thanks for your reply. I have been trying to contact him but he is not replying. He has left me various demanding emails (and I understand that he's the boss and work has no sympathy) but can they force me out?
    Even with the agreement that they will have me on board til 2008?

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    I don't think they would want you to go out on disability if you can work. Can you call your employer tomorrow & let them know the dr. has approved for you to return to work (may need a note from dr. re this) & see what they say.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

I received the email from him on Fri. I, now, have sent 3 emails alerting them how much this job means to me. I told them I am able to return to work per doctors orders by Mon or Tues. I want to come back. I have not received any reply. I do not know what to do. Should I go in tomorrow. This is all too much I can handle.

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

But if I am able to go back to work and want to. Even if I dont want to ask for any reasonable accommodations-can they deny me the right to work. I have been out no more than 2 weeks if you count consecutive days (all medically excused).
    I am a stellar employee-never a problem. Can they force me to take disability?
    I have given my all to this job. Since this job, I've started taking Wellbutrin and Lexipro and now this happens.
    I dont want to lose this job as I have worked very hard to build it.
    I think they are trying to push me out. please help.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    You don't qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) - not enough employees.

Re your employer accomodating your arthritis by allowing you to take time off work for doctor's appointments & taking off work for flare ups could pose an undue hardship on your employer particularly since there are only 15 employees. Do you need any other accomodation at work in order to do your job due to your arthritis? I'm not positive the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) will protect you due to the possible undue hardship to employer.

I don't think the employer is doing anything illegal here - hold for other replies & see what they think about the ADA accomodations you need. Arthritis can be an ADA disability in some cases- just not sure about your case & accomodation you need.

add info: I might mention employer must have 15 employees or more for ADA to apply -you mentioned has about 15 employees -might they have 15 at least?
    Last edited by Betty3; 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM. Reason: add info

Leave a comment:

• CalebNY
    replied
    calebny

Thanks for your reply.
    All I ask is that I am able to see the doctor if I have anymore attacks. I dont mind working extra hours. That is never an issue with me. I am not asking for much.
    I just want to be appreciated again and not blamed for being ill.

Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X