X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    California: If you're a private-sector employer, you can set whatever bereavement leave policy you want, as long as the policy applies to all employees uniformly and is enforced consistently. And it's a good idea to have your policy in writing, so the terms will be clear to an employee who needs time off in a hurry.

For state employees, the rules are different. State employees are entitled to three days off with pay upon the death of a person related by blood, adoption, marriage, a registered domestic partner or registered domestic partner's family member, or any person residing in the employee's immediate household at the time of death. To take the leave, the employee must provide advance notice to his or her immediate supervisor and provide documentation substantiating the need for leave. If the death occurred outside the state, the employee may take up to two additional days of bereavement leave, which the employee can take unpaid or as a charge against accrued sick leave. If additional time off is needed, the employee can use accrued vacation, comp time or days without pay if authorized

Leave a comment:

• ahealthagent
    replied
    You guys are awesome. First time on this site.

Thank you.

ahealthagent

Leave a comment:

• Beth3
    replied
    I agree with both of the above. I've never seen a bereavement policy that provided paid time off for a boyfriend's or girlfriend's relatives. If she wants to be compensated for the day, then I suggest you tell her she's free to use a day of vacation.

Leave a comment:

• Marketeer
    replied
    There are no laws requiring employers to provide bereavement leave, paid or unpaid.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    You're not legally obligated to offer bereavement pay at all. I've never seen a policy that covered a boyfriend's/girlfriend's relatives. You're welcome to let her use a personal or vacation day, if you want. All depends on your company policy.

Leave a comment:

• bereavement pay for a boyfriends mothers death? California

An employee of mine is asking for bereavement pay. Her boyfriend of less than one year lost his mother on Thursday of last week. She took Friday off to be with him. Today she is asking for bereavement pay for Friday. Am I obligated to pay this? Please help.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X