Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say for certain if it is discrimination. That's a possibility but there are several others; I've too many times been in the position of having been interviewing for a position only to have the opening put on hold for one reason or another.

When you called the HR office to request the JD, did you tell them why you wanted it?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes. I was upfront with them about the whole situation and told them exactly what it was for. More than anything, I really would just like to have had a call back saying that they've found another candidate or something like that.

If they haven't responded at all and are blowing me off completely, it just seems right(fair, since they weren't fair to me) to take some kind of action. Report them to the labor board/bureau, contact EOE advocates.........

Comment

What have you done to follow up on the request? if you asked or it two weeks ago and then nothing it could be anything from the person forgot to it is ready for you to pick up and you didn't come by.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I have made two separate requests. One was a phone message that I left, requesting that HR provide me with a JD and no one called back. The second time I called a few days later and spoke to the HR rep that I had dealt with at the interview personally, explaining the situation and requesting the information again. How many times is it necessary to follow up before it becomes apparent that they are not entitling me to an equal opportunity to acquire this position?

The conversation at the interview was verbatim,"We'll need you to take the physical and once we get the results back, we'll bring you in and see what you can do."

What else is there for me to do?
          Last edited by squeakyD; 11-02-2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

As I said, I can't be certain that this is discrimination. Many companies neglect to follow up if they have chosen another candidate, and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a position put on hold for longer than two weeks. Granted, they should have notified you if either is the case but that kind of neglect is not illegal.

But based on what you have said, discrimination can't be ruled out, either. If you feel strongly that the sole reason you have not heard from them is disability discrimination, your recourse is to discuss it with an attorney or the EEOC. Keep in mind that if you are wrong about the reason and the delay is for a non-discriminatory reason, if they are contacted by either an attorney or the EEOC about your hire, your chances of getting the job will go down to about zero.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

No, no. You've got it all wrong, or maybe I didn't explain above. See, I think that's where MOST people make a mistake. I don't care to work for these people at all now. Who in their right mind would file a complaint and THEN want to work for the same folks they just nailed to the wall? I know, lots 'o people for sure. But that isn't me. I'm just in it for the justice. I don't want, or expect to gain anything.....this would be for the others that would be trying to work there after myself.

I have a huge problem with the fact that they boast that they are and EOE/AA company. Really chaps my @$$ that they can profess this sort of commitment to the welfare of certain peoples, and then act this way. Outside of being unprofessional, I think it's illegal.

Do I just call the EEOC and get screened by a rep first? What happens if they think I'm a worthy cause?

Comment

Sorry if I misunderstood.

You can certainly go to the EEOC and file a complaint. They will conduct an investigation and determine whether or not illegal discrimination occurred.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X