Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA PFL (Paid Family Leave), How Long is "6 Weeks"? (California)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA PFL (Paid Family Leave), How Long is "6 Weeks"? (California)

I was given a weekly benefit amount by the TPA (Third Party Administrator) that is handling my California PFL benefit claim and was told my daily benefit amount is the weekly amount divided by 7 days. Since there are 7 days in a week, it makes some sense, but at the same time, most people don't work 7 days a week.

Since this thread explain that benefits do not have to be taken all at once, my question is how "long" is the "6 weeks" of benefits I am entitled to in a 12 month period?

For ease of math, assume I get $700 in weekly benefits (I wish!). My daily benefits would be $100 ($700 / 7 days), and I assume my maximum benefits would be $4200 ($700 * 6 weeks).

If I work 5 days a week as most people do, does that mean I can actually claim 8 five-day work-weeks plus more 2 days to get to the maximum 42 day or $4200 worth of benefits? Or, are PFL benefit paid for weekend days once I claim a certain number of days during the week (say the 5 regular workdays)?

If I do not take full weeks off, then I assume I am entitled to 42 individual days of benefits (42 week of 1 day off a week, for example), since I won't reach my maximum benefit amount until I claim 42 days?

Any HR people or SDI/STD administrators who can answer this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by thiscloud; 08-16-2006, 07:58 PM. Reason: For Clarification

What would be the advantage of taking 8 5-day weeks - why not take the full checks, and set some money aside for the last 2 weeks? Remember, getting PFL funds does not give you job protection. If you are eligible for CFRA leave, that is what protects your jobwhile you get PFL.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/direp/pflfaq1.asp

You can get benefits while you work part time.
    Last edited by Megan Ross Hutchins; 08-17-2006, 07:40 AM. Reason: bizarre typo
    Megan E. Ross, Esq.
    Law Offices of Michael Tracy
    http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

Hi Megan. Thanks for the response. There is no special benefit to taking 8 5-day weeks + 2 days of benefits vs. taking 6 full 7-day weeks of benefits. Either way, I get the same amount of money. If I take a full 5-day work week off, it's not like I get to choose between getting 5 or 7 days of benefits; the TPA processes my claim and I get cut a check. My question is more "what determines if I get paid for those two non-worked days?"

I'm asking this because the check stub does not break down exactly what days I am getting paid for, so it makes it difficult for me to calculate how many days of benefits I've used out of the 42 days, especially since my benefits were processed late and I had a mixture of full week and individual day claims, and they were all paid under one check. So I just wanted to find out what the guidelines were for how they determine whether to pay the Sat/Sun benefits when someone claims Mon-Fri (or fewer, perhaps one only has to claim 3 or 4 days out of the week to qualify for the "weekend" benefits).
      Last edited by thiscloud; 08-17-2006, 08:07 AM.

Comment

If you are out Mon-Fri, they pay you for 7 days, I think. I don't know how they figure partial day absenses.
        Megan E. Ross, Esq.
        Law Offices of Michael Tracy
        http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

It does seem to be mystery that no one has a definitive answer for. I asked my TPA and they never got back to me. I think at least one instance, it seemed that I got paid for weekend days when I didn't work a full week, but it could have been because I took consecutive days off on either side of a weekend (for example, Wed-Wed, I may get paid for the Sat/Sun in between, I dunno). Thanks for your response. I guess I'll chalk the information up to being hidden along with how many licks to get to the middle of a tootsie pop.

Comment

CA PFL (Paid Family Leave), How Long is "6 Weeks"? (California)

ThisCloud,

Could you update us on the details for taking time-off for part-time family leave (in California)?
            if one works half-time (2.5 days/wk), does PFL cover the remaining 2.5 days at 55% of pay or at 100%?
            Is benefit limited to six "calendar" weeks, or can they be stretched over more weeks if say only 1 day per week is taken off?

Thanks.

Comment

bridger 2000 - thiscloud has not posted on this forum since 8-2006. I doubt she will come back & post a reply to your post.

You might want to start your own new thread & see if you get any replies.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by bridger2000 View Post
                ThisCloud,

Could you update us on the details for taking time-off for part-time family leave (in California)?
                if one works half-time (2.5 days/wk), does PFL cover the remaining 2.5 days at 55% of pay or at 100%?
                Is benefit limited to six "calendar" weeks, or can they be stretched over more weeks if say only 1 day per week is taken off?

Thanks.
                Hi Bridger2000! Unfortunately, it's been nearly a year and a half since we've had to deal with this and I don't remember the details. I do remember that my company's third party administrator was quite difficult to deal with and I could never get good information from them. I seem to recall that it was prorated, so that if I worked 2.5 days/week, I'd get paid 50% of my normal pay, and then 55% of the other 50%, or 27.5% for a total of 77.5% of my normal pay, but don't quote me on it...

Comment

thiscloud, thanks for coming back after so long and responding; it's appreciated.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes, thanks. I checked & saw you hadn't posted since 8-06.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

PFL is paid in full days therefore if you only take a full day, 1 hour or 4 hours off per day then you are still getting paid for one day. The benefit is based on your "look back" period the same as disability and paid according to what you made during that period

Originally posted by bridger2000 View Post
                      ThisCloud,

Thanks.

Comment

wahlflower, please do not reply to old dead threads - thanks.

Comment

A nice warm welcome. A private message would have been sufficient.

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                          wahlflower, please do not reply to old dead threads - thanks.

Comment

Sorry but this is where we let posters know they should not reply to old threads.

(Even if I had sent you a PM, someone else would have come along & told you here not to post to old threads.)
                            Last edited by Betty3; 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X