This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnant in texas w/ no std.. HELP!! Texas

ok here is the scoop on my situation. i hope that someone can help me. i am currently 31 weeks pregnant and was taken out of work by my dr. about 3 weeks ago and put on a terbutaline pump to stop contractions. i cant even go grocery shopping by myself anymore and i have to ride in one of those electric carts. i was told 2 yrs ago when i was hired at my job that my husband (who works for the same company) had me covered for all medical and that i didnt need to. well last october (open enrollment for us) i applied for std and ltd, but i am not elgiably for it for a year so that makes it october. now here i am out of work for 10-12 weeks before my delivery and at least 6 weeks after, with one income and a 4 yr. old boy to care for. i was just wondering if there was any help out there for us. i have gotten wic already and i think that my husband makes too much for us to get on food stamps. which isnt right because they dont take into account your car payment and the insurance that you have to have on it among other things. can someone please help???
    thank you for reading, laura

Laura, I'm sorry, but your state does not have a state disability plan or makes it mandatory for your employer to provide STD or LTD insurance (only five states do either). If you are not yet eligible for your employer's STD plan then there is nothing under employment law that can help you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Laura, does your employer have an EAP (Employee Assistance Plan)? If so, get in touch with them. They may be able to put you in touch with some organizations that could assist you and your family?

Since I don't know your occupation, this may not have any value for you, but do you have the ability to perform your work at home? If so, ask your employer about making a temporary accommodation as it could benefit both you and the employer. You may want to research "work from home" options regarding telemarketing, collections, etc.

Good luck and keep your chin up...

Comment

Of all else fails u can always call your church and ask them to help even if they can nor give you money thy will try to help feed and take care of ur family! If u do not have a church try any church charity alot of times they hbe orginizations set up to help families in need!

Comment

Mommy2be87, please do not reply to old threads - this thread is from 2006. Thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X