Psycho calling and hanging up. Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psycho calling and hanging up. Georgia

Ok. So I have a psycho who's been calling and hanging up (usually in the middle of the night) for the past few years now but its recently gotten worse and I DONT know if I can take it much longer. I'm pretty sure it is some creep who is obsessed with my wife (her best friends drug addict father from before I met her) because it started when I met her and showed up at her friends house to help her move out and it is a Rome # and I DONT know anyone else from there. Its usually a restricted # but he's gotten high and drunk enough to forget *67 a few times and said some pretty messed up things knowing that my license is suspended and I'm 1.5 hours away. Anyway im about to get my license back and I am trying to avoid getting in trouble if you know what I mean but its hard when someone's been harassing your family for this long so is there anything I can legally do to stop this with the calls coming from so far away? Thanks for any help.

You can report the harassment to the police and/or phone company, change your phone number, or block the incoming number.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Unplug the phone at night.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Gee, never thought of those solutions. Okay let me break it down a little further. Basically I'm asking if there is anything that can be done other than simply calling my local police, as the person doing it is an another county. Yes, I realize that I can call the police for just about anything but I figured that part of the reason for forums like this was to get advice on legal matters before actually going to lawyers, police, etc. so you have an idea of what to expect. It's no secret that the police will most likely blow you off on matters like these, especially when the perpetrator is an hour and a half away so for anyone with any useful information, thank you.
        Last edited by hatinit; 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

What else do you imagine there is to do?
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
            What else do you imagine there is to do?
            Well if I knew that I wouldn't be here asking. I guess what I'm getting at is, are there any specific laws against this? If so, how serious are they and would it involve my local police, the county where the calls are coming from, or another agency, etc.?
            Last edited by hatinit; 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

From the Georgia code:

16-11-39.1. Harassing phone calls

(a) A person commits the offense of harassing phone calls if such person telephones another person repeatedly, whether or not conversation ensues, for the purpose of annoying, harassing, or molesting another person or the family of such other person; uses over the telephone language threatening bodily harm; telephones and intentionally fails to hang up or disengage the connection; or knowingly permits any telephone under such person's control to be used for any purpose prohibited by this subsection.

(b) Any person who commits the offense of harassing phone calls shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
              I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

How about instead of assuming the police won't do anything, you at least give them a chance? Even if you were to try and sue or proess charges or get an attorney to write a cease and desist letter, the attorney/court is going to want to know what you did and what the police response was. They may even need a record of how often the police were called and a report taken just for the record. Looking at it from an outsiders perspective, it is harder to buy that this was a credible threat that happened regular and put you in fear if the only action you ever took was the hang up the phone and go back to sleep.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Good points, Elle.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Report it to the police, period. I have little faith in the cops myself, but that is the procedure.
                    1. Report to the police.
                    2. Report to the phone company.
                    3. Consult with an attorney on seeking a petition/subpoena to have the technical files on your phone account released to the cops.
                    THEN the cops can do something. They will have who it is and where they are calling from. When the phone company says they can't access that info, they're lying. If the cops say they can't do that, they're lying. Which is why you have to file the petition. But once you do that, they are obligated to act.

I'm saying this harshly because I have been there and done that.
                    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X