• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex Abuse 3, sexual charges, need help please... Oregon

Charges
    - Sex Abuse 3
    - Contributing to sexual Deliquency of a Minor

Well, the title says it all. I was arrested and released within 4 hours of the arrest. My girlfriend being 16, nearly 17. Be being 21. Everyone knew we were dating, the mother asked me to be a room mate. She told me to move into her daughters bedroom, share the bed. I helped pay bills and do house hold work. The mother suggested that she get on birth control as well. She even openly said she knows we will have intercourse, just do not do it around her. So everything was known and in the opened. The father is not a father. She does not live with them and has only been there for the past year or so. Everything was fine until we found out she was pregonant. He called the cops and filed charges on me, the ones listed above.

I do not want to sit in jail at all, especially when I have a child on the way. The mother is fine with this, she is completely against me going to jail over this. She is on my side. I looked up the charges, the maximum for each is a year in prison, or around 6,000 USD in fines. There also class A mistomeaners. I have nothing else on my record, other then a few juvinile offences. None of them carried over, they were all expunged long ago. I'm wanting to know, in general, what will probably happen with this? So many people are telling me to go back to Florida (where I came from), that Oregon (the state I'm in right now), will not extradite me. I'm wanting to know, what is probably going to happen at court, and if I did leave, would I be extradited back? I know I made a mistake, I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here.

One or both parents consent does not make an illegal act legal. If anything it makes Mom guilty of crimes herself. You need a lawyer! Your facing prison and lifetime registration as sex offender
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

The father didn't press charges against you. He reported a crime to the police and they pressed the charges.

This issue won't go away and running from it will just delay the inevitable.

You need a lawyer. Once the baby is born and DNA testing is done, it is proof of your crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Recon1st View Post
        I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here.
        As the other responders noted, the first thing you need to do is get a lawyer - you need one.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I cannot afford a Lawyer. I am a student, who was living off of financial aid before all of this happened. Hearing today that she had a miscarrage within the first 6 weeks of the pregonancy, I do not think there would be any possible way to prove anything happened. Added to this, she has also told the police that nothing has happened between us, as did I. Will this change anything? I understand that a lawyer is the best bet, but the lawyer I spoke with recently wan'ts 5,000 USD to represent me. I don't have anything near that. This is why I was asking about extradition law. I have been told that the jails within Washington and Oregon are so full, that they do not like keeping people in them, unless they have a felony charge.

Is any of this true? Thanks for the help, as of so far. I know it was a mistake.

Comment

This is likely a felony! Both of you denying actions doesnt mean much as Police ar elied to all the time. If she had a miscarriage and is no longer pregnant your best course of action for your future is to end relationship today!!!

Comment

Oregon

ยง 163. 355

Third-degree rape to have sexual intercourse with a person under age 16. Defense that the actor was less than three years older than the victim at the time of the offense

Up to five years in prison

Just like when you were having intecourse...you're screwed!

You better start looking for a public defender (who are typically worth about as much as you pay).

Be prepared to spend the next five years of your life in prison. Not jail...prison, there is a difference, if you don't know it, I would learn it!
              Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I don't believe he was charged with rape though so this statute may not apply

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
                  I don't believe he was charged with rape though so this statute may not apply
                  The post above is referencing sex with a minor, 16 or younger. Sexual misconduct is going to cost him some time in prison and NEVER disappear from his record.

Running off in an effort to hide isn't going to change that.
                  Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Agreed but if charged with misdemeanor its not likely rape but something else. Besides the Oregon rape laws speaks of sex with a minor "under" 16 this girl is almost 17

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
                      Agreed but if charged with misdemeanor its not likely rape but something else. Besides the Oregon rape laws speaks of sex with a minor "under" 16 this girl is almost 17
                      http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/j...003-R-0376.htm

Panther, I know you are trying to see the sunny side of this for this OP, but the way I feel is that the full penalty should be assessed.

I employ several people who have had problems with the law in this area. They have been charged with felonies, ended up in prison, released years later on parole, gone onto probation, filed as sex offenders and now live the life that comes with that.

Living as a registered sex offender is a huge life changing event. And yes, I can think of one of them who was involved with a minor who was soon to turn 18...he still went to prison.

Comment

The statute linked applies to sex with a minor "under" 16 so it does not apply in this case. By the way there is no "sunny side" to adults engaging in sex acts with minors.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
                          You better start looking for a public defender (who are typically worth about as much as you pay).
                          This is what you need to do - you need to talk to a lawyer.
                          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The two charges in question are class A misdemeanors. Maximum potential jail time (not prison) is 1 year for each charge. Maximum potential fine for each each charge is $6,250. Plus mandatory reporting as a sexual offender.

One more time. See a lawyer. Public defender if necessary. This is serious. Way to serious to try to solve on a free Internet website.

http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/criminal-charges/
                            https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/163.435
                            https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/163.415
                            http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/fp/docs...enses.pdf?ga=t
                            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X