This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Consent in Ohio

I know that a female of 16 years of age is allowed to date and have sex with anyone of any age...

well my girlfriend is 16 years of age and i am 21..

what can her father do if he decided at some point to not approve of us being together, right now he approves... any help here?

He could take out a restraining order on you and then you would not be able to contact your girlfriend until she turned 18.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmilenko View Post
      I know that a female of 16 years of age is allowed to date and have sex with anyone of any age...

well my girlfriend is 16 years of age and i am 21..

what can her father do if he decided at some point to not approve of us being together, right now he approves... any help here?
      It's true that 16 year old girls can marry in Ohio, but that is only with parental approval, unless they are emancipated. There used to be a 4-year rule concerning (unmarried) sex with minors in Ohio, which may still apply. If one of the parties is a minor, then the other party could be criminally charged if they are more than 4 years older. In any case, it would probably only be a problem if the parents made a stink - the cops would get nothing else done if they concerned themselves with teenage fornication. God knows there are plenty of 16 year old mothers in this part of Ohio and not all the boyfriends are doing hard time...

So, even if her parents were to prefer charges, it might only amount to something like misdemeanor corrupting a minor and not felony statutory rape as such, and there are always civil remedies (e.g. restraining orders) that her dad can pursue if you fall out of favor for any reason, so try to stay on speaking terms with dad since you're 5 years older than chickie.

-ljp

addendum: I checked the current relevant Ohio law and it looks like the 4-year rule only applies to minors under 16, so you look to be OK as far as criminal liability goes, but dad can still invoke civil remedies if you fall out of favor.
      Last edited by Legba Jean Petro; 10-28-2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Q: what can her father do if he decided at some point to not approve of us being together

A: How big a boy is he?
        “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

old fatass

Comment

And you wonder why he doesn't love you.

Anyway, let me make it simple for you.

If mom and dad say no, the answer is no.
            Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

hey cyjoke i mean jeff.. first off its 100% legal due to the fact she consented and is 16 the age of consent.. second off if her dad didnt like me he could kick me out.. but couldnt stop me from seeing her outside of her home, meaning he would have no say.. all he could do is ground her, due to the fact she is of the age to do as she pleases on common grounds.. so your statement is false

Comment

Wow.

You couldn't stumble on the right answer with a map and a three day head start.

You want to cross dad... stupid move. Dad says don't see her and you do, Dad goes down to the court house and swears out a restraining order on you.

Same result... just now you get to go to jail.

And he can do this until she becomes 18.

Then, even OUTSIDE THE HOUSE, if you see her, you got to jail. For years.

So it is not 100% legal... not even a smidge. Dad and Mom set the rules for the little girl. She is NOT free to do what she wants on "common grounds" whatever the hell those are.

You are wrong. They can keep you apart, and the law will even help them if you don't listen. You don't seem very smart, so let me make it easy for you.

Leave her alone.
                Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Help. 16yr old with 18yr. old in Ohio

I was just wondering.. could anything happen to the 18yr. old if him & the 16yr.old girl have sex but she is about to turn 17 in about 2months & he just turned 18. Is it illegal for them to have consently sex? & would he get in trouble for it?

Comment

Originally posted by abercrombister View Post
                    I was just wondering.. could anything happen to the 18yr. old if him & the 16yr.old girl have sex but she is about to turn 17 in about 2months & he just turned 18. Is it illegal for them to have consently sex? & would he get in trouble for it?
                    Are the 16 year old's parents ok with the relationship? The parents are in control until the minor turns 18. There probably won't be charges for this in Ohio since 16 if the age of consent, but the parents could still take out a restraining order on the 18 year old.

Comment

i need help.

i am 16 and my boyfriend is 18. i live in ohio. my parents hate my boyfrind. if we have sex can they throw him in jail?

Comment

Sweetie, they can have him thrown in jail if he LOOKS at you, after they get a restraining order.

What part of, Mom and Dad are in charge and you don't get to see anyone they don't want you to see until your 18th birthday, is so hard to understand?
                        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

accually

*actually
                          yes, it its. weve been dating for over a year and 8 months, and i completely adore him. i cant get tham to see that though. im not trying to be a brat so drop the attitude.
                          Last edited by harley11; 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Comment

Telling me to drop the attitude IS being a brat, young lady. You're asking people to provide you with FREE advice on their OWN time and they're not getting paid for it, so YOU smarten up and have a little respect.

If your parents can't see it, so be it. They are in charge. When you turn 18, you can do anything you like and see anyone you want. Until then, what they say goes and there is NOTHING in the law, repeat, NOTHING in the law that is going to force them to change their minds. The law favors mom and dad every time. If you say please, and mom and dad say no, that's the end of it. You lose.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

sure

yeah but the only reason they are saying no is because they think its against the law but isnt it not against the law if they agree to it? theyre just being stubborn about it. like other poeple i know.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X