car trade and now he wants money Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car trade and now he wants money Pennsylvania

About two weeks ago I traded used cars with someone in the area. Something I will never do again.

First The car was brought out for him to see, he rode in it, asked questions and was told that as far as I knew the car was running well, the only problem I was aware of was a knocking in the front wheel but that I did not know the origin. That the car ran well and I had no other knowable problems with it.

He heard the sound and did not object to the trade.

About a week later we agreed to trade. the deal was his car for my car, plus 500 so he could put it towards any repairs due to the noise in the wheel and I also paid for the changing of the paper work on both sides which was about 160

He had a 95 chevy cavalier and I had a 92 jeep cherokee. He stated he wanted a vehicle he could haul stuff in for his job. My jeep was the car my daughter drove and she just wanted something smaller. I had never done this kind of transaction before.

We went to the notary, changed titles, he asked no more questions, he did comment that he had spoken to a friend of his who also had a similar sound in his jeep and had it looked at and they could not identify the source, so he didnt seem extremely concerned about it. He did not ask for records or to have the car looked at before purchase, he said its a used car you have to expect things.

He gave me two receipts for work he had done to his car, new tires and engine work a few years earlier.

HE drove off in the jeep and we drove off in the chevy.

Two weeks later he calls me and says he had the car looked at and it had a cracked frame, he accused me of selling him a car I knew had that damage. I did not know about that, how would I , I am not a mechanic, and none of the people who ever did work on the car told me that. I drove it and it ran.

Now he is demanding 1500 plus his car back for money he put into the jeep and what he feels was the value of his car before trading it to me. As he said he was going to sell it for 2000 and since we only exchanged 500 he feels I now owe him for the balance of what he feels the car is worth. He also said the car was reconstructed and that I somehow changed the title. I looked into that and had a carfax report done that comes up clean, no reconstruction, as if I would know how to do that anyway.

He was unreasonable so I hung up the phone. He says he will come after me and get the 1500 he feels I owe him and that he will get more if I dont give it up to him now.

I also looked up both cars on blue book, I put his car in as in good condition as he need no immediate repairs that I could tell and mine in fair as I knew it had the knocking sound.

His came up valued at 1200 and mine at 1350, so they are basically close in book value for whatever that is worth.

So now my question is what is the law on this, I would hate to have to hire an attorney as he will cost more than or as much as either car is worth....we are talking 2 old used cars.

Where does a gal stand, I dont have 1500, dont feel its my obligation to pay him what he feels his car is worth or any repairs he choose to make to the jeep after having it in his name. I did not know about any damage to any frame until he told me and the title is clear, no agreements were signed or even verbally agreed on at the time of trade.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter you can offer.

Michellem totally frustrated in pa

So you're saying you didn't have any type of agreement or even "bill of sale" indicating the cars would be accepted as is for the trades & the add'l. cost you paid?

He might try suing you in small claims court. It will be up to the judge to decide what he is entitled to. It sounds like from your post he accepted the car as is from you as you accepted his as is though he can still try suing though that doesn't mean he will win. He would have to prove to the judge that he is entitled to add'l. money &/or his car back.
    Last edited by Betty3; 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

car

we exchanged cars and titles with no agreement as to the condition of either car past the moment of trade. They are both old and used and each of us knew what that meant, that they could break down at any time.

I dont believe that he should expect me to pay for what he thinks he could sell the car for, as we all know that is different than what we might actually get.

and how can I be responsible for both giving him his car back and paying him money.....that doesnt add up. If he got his car back wouldnt that be enough....

Comment

Agree, as I said, I believe you each accepted the other's car as is. However, that doesn't mean he still might not try suing you in court.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X