This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken mirror due to shopping cart Illinois

Ok so I know this has been discussed here already but my situation is a little different. I work a (Large chain store) and a'm currently on an over-night shift to remodel the store. I park about as far from the entrance as I can as is the rule for employees. Last night when I arrived at work the lot was full of loose carts, as is a very common occurrence of which I and others have addressed several times, at some point during the night a cart rolled into my car causing the actual mirror to fall out and taking a chunk of plastic off the housing. The closing manager never sent an associate out to collect the carts as is supposed to be part of closing procedure. To my vague understanding this would be neglect and thus the damage is the fault of the store management? Is the store responsible for damage under these circumstances? I have talked with store management and they do not [U]THINK[U] that this is there problem. However i was told when first collecting carts shortly after being hired that if i find a cart which has caused damage to a CUSTOMERS car to tell the active manager so they can take care of the problem.
    Last edited by cbg; 03-24-2011, 05:03 AM.

Most stores have signs that they are not responsible to damage to cars in the
    parking lot - some say specifically by carts.

You posted in small claims court - you can try suing but it may not be worth it to
    sue your employer.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

There are not any signs regarding carts. And the reason i posted here was do to a post i had found, sorry didn't really look into the different forums.

Comment

Are there any signs saying they are not responsible for damage to cars in parking
        lot even if they don't mention carts?

How much damage money wise are we talking here to your mirror?
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

No there are no signs posted at all in regards to anything in the lot. Or the store for that matter.

Comment

I don't know how much damage money wise we're talking here. You can try
            reporting it to the corp. office & see what they say. Tell them you want to
            submit a claim through their ins.

I don't know if you would want to report it to your ins. co. & I don't know the cost
            to the fix the mirror & the amt. of your deductible.

Comment

I'm waiting to hear back from H.R. Right now. The parts are about $90-$110 and I don't know what the labor will cost. Im ballparking around $150-$200ish.

Comment

Ok, maybe they will pay (hopefully) - the cost to fix it isn't excessive.

Comment

And it's likely your insurance would go up at least that much; plus, very few people have deducitbles less than $500.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree, that's why I said OP probably didn't want to report it to their ins. - prem.
                    "might" go up & didn't know amt. of deductible or cost to fix the mirror until OP
                    came back & said. I didn't think it would be much.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X