Need Help here and fast. Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help here and fast. Indiana

I sold a laptop my laptop to someone. The deal was done face to face and a witness on my behalf. I had a friend along with me just in the case I would be needing a witness (BEST CHOICE I EVER MADE). So I was selling my laptop to this guy for $800. He looks at the laptop, plays with it a bit and writes me a check for $800. So at the time, I'm like WOO HOO. The next day, I go to the guy's bank to cash the check, they said the check was from a closed account. So I call this person and says someone stole the laptop (B...S...). And he says the bank called him up that day and told him that his bank account was closed. Now, when I was at the bank, the bank teller told me the bank account was closed awhile ago. So he tells me he is expecting a check from someone and he'll give me $900, for the inconvenience. Its been about 2 weeks and all he has done so far is stall time, saying the check hasn't arrived yet or he got the check but they are having a hard time cashing it. And I can't get my laptop back because he keeps claiming someone stole it. What are my options on getting my money from this guy without going to court, as I am a student and my laptop was sold without my parents consent and I don't want them to find out. until later on?

can no one reply to this?

Comment

I think what you should do is contact your local police department. The guy wrote you a bad check, which is against the law. I would that that amount would be over a felony also. Tell them you want to press charges.

Comment

Writing a bad check is fraud. Remind him of this, and tell him you will be pressing charges within 24 hours if you do not have the full amount due! I would also ask him for the copy of the police report that the laptop was stolen, I bet he does not have one. I would take him to small claims court, you will win, and he will have to pay your court fees, fees for a bad check, and the money back for the laptop. Bring the check with you, and the police report for the fraudulant charges for the check, and your witnesses. Let him know that you can ask the courts for additional fees for economic damages (bills you were not able to pay as a result of his check not being honored. Be very angry and to the point, let him know YOU MEAN BUSINESS!!! If you do not seem serious, he will not try to quickly take care of this. Please check what all monies you can get in your state for this. Please keep in touch on this, and you said you don't want to go to court. If you do not, consider yourself without a laptop or the money for it. Only a court can make him pay you now, his word means crap!!!!

Comment

IN the mean time if you get it across to him that you will sue him in a court of law and he decides to cough it up. DO NOT accept another check from him. Make him meet you at his bank and withdraw cash money. With all the fraud cashiers checks and all on the float these days I wouldn't even take one of those from someone I didn't know or some one I knew I couldn't trusl.

By all means let us know how this works out for you.

Comment

This thread is 4 mos. old - OP hasn't posted since - don't know if they will come back to forum though they might.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              This thread is 4 mos. old - OP hasn't posted since - don't know if they will come back to forum though they might.
              OOPS, I did not notice since someone reopened it with an answer, thanks for letting me know this!

Comment

It's hard to remember to check the dates particularly when someone else posted currently.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X