This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-compete in Massachusetts Massachusetts

I currently work for a large company ("A") that is supplying IT services under contract to a bio-tech company ("client"). "A" has recently lost the contract to another company ("B").

So, the client has told Company B to hire me to do the same job I currently do. Company A has said it will try to find me another job on one of their other contracts, but I highly doubt they'll find me a similar job for similar pay. Further, it appears that Company A might try to stand in my way of taking this job by enforcing their non-compete. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this whole thing? The work I do in IT is rather specialized, and it can be very tough for me to find work, which is a struggle I'm not prepared to engage in right now. If anyone wants to take this conversation offline, please feel free to contact me at noncompetessuck at gmail dot com.

This is Ma. rules on non-competes: Ma. courts will enforce non-competes provided they serve to protect a legitimate busi. interest (ie goodwill) & aren't merely intended to bar ordinary competition. Courts require the agreements to be reasonable in duration & geographic scope, & that determination is fact-driven. If an otherwise enforceable non-compete has an unreasonable duration and/or geographic scope, the courts generally will modify the agree. to conform with the court's notion of reasonableness.

It would be a good idea to take the non-compete to an employment or contract attorney in your state to review to see if it is enforceable.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X