X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to chapter 7

Could anyone tell me how much it cost to convert a chapter 13 to a
    chapter 7? I can not keep up the payments.
    TIA PAT GREENE

Converting to chapter 7

The conversion fee is $15. Your attorney may charge an additional
    fee.

--
    Brett

* Personal Injury/Malpractice Bankruptcy *
    * BRETT WEISS, P.C. *
    * Attorneys at Law *
    * Maryland, D.C. and Federal Bars *
    * [email protected] *
    * http://www.erols.com/lawyer *
    * Small Business Estates & Estate Planning *

The Small Print: This response is for discussion purposes only.
    It isn't meant to be legal advice and you shouldn't treat it as
    such. If you want legal advice, speak with a local lawyer
    familiar with your state's laws who can review *all* of the facts
    and the law applicable to your situation.

"Anna Guinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Could anyone tell me how much it cost to convert a chapter 13
    to a
    chapter 7? I can not keep up the payments. TIA PAT GREENE

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

[email protected] (Anna Guinn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
      Could anyone tell me how much it cost to convert a chapter 13 to a chapter 7? I can not keep up the payments. TIA PAT GREENE
      You don't have to answer this question if you find it TOO personal,
      but as I am in a Chapter 13 myself, I would like to know what the
      problems were that caused the need to convert. I have been told that
      less then 30% sucessfully complete a Chapter 13, and am trying to
      learn what I can do to improve my chances.

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

The reason why most people don't complete the plan is simple. They filed
        bankruptcy in the first place because they had financial problems. These
        problems often get worse, not better, as time goes on- for many people,
        Chapter 13 is not a fresh start but putting off the inevitable, the
        realization that they can't meet a firm, monthly obligation for whatever
        reason.

There is no secret to "improve your chances" to complete a Chapter 13 plan.
        Make sure the plan is realistic in the first place, and commit to sticking
        with it. That's all.

--

Rob Stumpf, Esq.

Stumpf and Ginter, Attorneys at Law
        Practicing Bankruptcy in NY and NJ

visit us at www.online-law-firm.com
        or email [email protected]

Disclaimer: No email or newsgroup communication is to be construed to
        establish any sort of an attorney-client relationship, is not legal advice,
        and is not a replacement for the advice of a competent attorney in your
        jurisdiction.
        "Eu. Harry Andruschak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] om...
        [email protected] (Anna Guinn) wrote in message
        news:<[email protected]>...
        Could anyone tell me how much it cost to convert a chapter 13 to a chapter 7? I can not keep up the payments. TIA PAT GREENE You don't have to answer this question if you find it TOO personal, but as I am in a Chapter 13 myself, I would like to know what the problems were that caused the need to convert. I have been told that less then 30% sucessfully complete a Chapter 13, and am trying to learn what I can do to improve my chances.

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

thank you for your answers. my payment was ok but too many extras arose.
          home insurance went up, also power and taxes.You have to pay cash for
          everything & if one or more surprise expense comes up you are in big
          trouble.
          pat greene

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

You are so right. I can easily see why so many cannot complete the
            plan. We see now that our altruistic reasons and wanting to keep a
            house with horrendous mortgages and in need of major repairs was the
            worst thing we could have done. Should have listened to the first two
            lawyers we called who asked why in *** did we want to do a Chapter 13
            when we had so few assets and a ton of debt.

One lives in fear that something major will happen and, not having
            access to credit, can really devastate whatever is left. You become a
            financial prisoner. Plus, it's years of stress and no ability to save
            anything for your future.

Psychologists tell us we all need a vacation from time to time for our
            mental health, but under Chapter 13 one can't even do that! Which is
            what scares me with this new BK law. By forcing most people into one,
            it will do nothing but create people living barely above the poverty
            line. Good people who found themselves in circumstances that spiraled
            out of control due to medical reasons, job loss etc. will be treated
            worse then a lot of criminals. Meanwhile those sitting in Congress
            continue to enjoy the high salaries, perks and comfy living while
            passing judgment on those upon whom life has treated unkindly. Sorry,
            but it really upsets me.

[email protected] (Anna Guinn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
            thank you for your answers. my payment was ok but too many extras arose. home insurance went up, also power and taxes.You have to pay cash for everything & if one or more surprise expense comes up you are in big trouble. pat greene

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

thank you for your response. I think we have a right to be angry. The
              trustee in my case was very rude to everyone in the courtroom. she
              announced that she was in a bad mood and was demeaning to all of us. I
              wonder what happens if you don't show up for your dismissal hearing? you
              feel about two feet tall and that you are so stupid. I know it is my
              fault but it is a mistake. no one should have to be treated like a dim
              wit because they have bills they can not pay. thanks to this group, I
              have a place to ask questions.

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

"Robert Stumpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                The reason why most people don't complete the plan is simple. They filed bankruptcy in the first place because they had financial problems. These problems often get worse, not better, as time goes on- for many people, Chapter 13 is not a fresh start but putting off the inevitable, the realization that they can't meet a firm, monthly obligation for whatever reason. There is no secret to "improve your chances" to complete a Chapter 13 plan. Make sure the plan is realistic in the first place, and commit to sticking with it. That's all. -- ***** Rob Stumpf, Esq. Stumpf and Ginter, Attorneys at Law Practicing Bankruptcy in NY and NJ visit us at www.online-law-firm.com or email [email protected] Disclaimer: No email or newsgroup communication is to be construed to establish any sort of an attorney-client relationship, is not legal advice, and is not a replacement for the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.
                Um, nothing personal, but don't the lawyers try to explain to the
                debtors that they haven't the proverbial snowflake in a blast furnace
                chance of finishing Chapter 13 under those conditions? If not, isn't
                the Judge suppose to determine feasability?

My own lawyer explained that many failed Chapter 13 by not changing
                the spending habits that got them into debt in the first case. This
                does not apply to me, the debt was run up from other factors not
                likely to be repeated.

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

Same here. Change what spending habits? Buying food and medicine?
                  Most people start a Chap. 13 because they feel it's the right thing to
                  try and pay back something to their creditors. Lawyers should present
                  them with a "what if" scenario--what if a large home repair arisea, or
                  your teeth decide to go ballistic (as in my case), your
                  taxes/insurance is hiked, a bad winter sent your heating bills through
                  the roof (remember last winter?). Factors not under our control can
                  arise very easily and your hands are tied. Of course, trying to save
                  anything is out of the question.

So where are the bad spending habits? Our last vacation was an
                  overnight bus trip back in 1995. Our TV is over 10 years old. We
                  bought our furniture used from the want ads. Our cars are 1991 and
                  1993 respectively. I think you get the idea.

[email protected] (Eu. Harry Andruschak) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
                  "Robert Stumpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                  The reason why most people don't complete the plan is simple. They filed bankruptcy in the first place because they had financial problems. These problems often get worse, not better, as time goes on- for many people, Chapter 13 is not a fresh start but putting off the inevitable, the realization that they can't meet a firm, monthly obligation for whatever reason. There is no secret to "improve your chances" to complete a Chapter 13 plan. Make sure the plan is realistic in the first place, and commit to sticking with it. That's all. -- ***** Rob Stumpf, Esq. Stumpf and Ginter, Attorneys at Law Practicing Bankruptcy in NY and NJ visit us at www.online-law-firm.com or email [email protected] Disclaimer: No email or newsgroup communication is to be construed to establish any sort of an attorney-client relationship, is not legal advice, and is not a replacement for the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.
                  Um, nothing personal, but don't the lawyers try to explain to the debtors that they haven't the proverbial snowflake in a blast furnace chance of finishing Chapter 13 under those conditions? If not, isn't the Judge suppose to determine feasability? My own lawyer explained that many failed Chapter 13 by not changing the spending habits that got them into debt in the first case. This does not apply to me, the debt was run up from other factors not likely to be repeated.

Comment

Converting to chapter 7

"Eu. Harry Andruschak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:[email protected] om...
                    "Robert Stumpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:<[email protected]>...
                    The reason why most people don't complete the plan is simple. They
                    filed
                    bankruptcy in the first place because they had financial problems.
                    These
                    problems often get worse, not better, as time goes on- for many people, Chapter 13 is not a fresh start but putting off the inevitable, the realization that they can't meet a firm, monthly obligation for whatever reason. There is no secret to "improve your chances" to complete a Chapter 13
                    plan.
                    Make sure the plan is realistic in the first place, and commit to
                    sticking
                    with it. That's all.

Um, nothing personal, but don't the lawyers try to explain to the debtors that they haven't the proverbial snowflake in a blast furnace chance of finishing Chapter 13 under those conditions?

If you are implying they have no chance at all (as far as I know, snowflakes
                    never fail to melt in a furnace) that isn't true. Many (but by no means
                    all) Chapter 13 plans fail, for a variety of reasons. My only point was
                    that there is no "secret" to making one work. A responsible debtor who is
                    able and committed to do so will be successful.

Rob Stumpf, Esq.

Stumpf and Ginter, Attorneys at Law
                    Practicing Bankruptcy in NY and NJ

visit us at www.online-law-firm.com
                    or email [email protected]

Disclaimer: No email or newsgroup communication is to be construed to
                    establish any sort of an attorney-client relationship, is not legal advice,
                    and is not a replacement for the advice of a competent attorney in your
                    jurisdiction.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X