This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying not to file for Bankruptcy

I suffer with a chronic illness which caused me to be out of work for the last 11 months. I applied for long term disability with my employer and have been denied. I have exhausted all of my paid time and have just lost my job. We have used all of our emergency funds and are using a line of credit to keep us a float.

I am currently trying to salvage my financial position. My husband does not make a great deal and is unable to meet all of our obligations. We have a mortgage and are about $20,000 in debt. I have about $40K in my retirement account and wanted to know if it makes sense to take the money out, take the 20% hit and pay off our debt so that my husband can make ends meet while I wait for a disability appeal to go through.

If not that -- does anyone have any other feasible options?

You may want to consider consumer credit counseling-debt negotiation. But also, I think it would be wise to go to consultations with a bankruptcy attorney in case you need to leave that as an option. The thing is-- should one person file for bankruptcy, or both? A bankruptcy practitioner should be able to help you figure out which approach is best for your situation.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X