This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - Foreclosure fiasco

My boyfriend is in the process of purchasing a foreclosed home. He went with a VA loan and offered considerably less than the asking price. Of course, when the house was inspected there were a few things that needed repair before the VA would approve the loan. The bank did not want to fix the items and wanted to back out of the deal because they felt they should have waited for a higher offer, so my boyfriend and his agent paid for the repairs. Yesterday, the real estate agent called my boyfriend and told him he needed to wire money to the title company so the property could be closed today. Today, my boyfriend found out that the title company has just declared bankruptcy. Does anyone know what recourse he has? I'm wondering how and if he will get the money back that he wired.

Originally posted by WorkHorse View Post
    My boyfriend is in the process of purchasing a foreclosed home. He went with a VA loan and offered considerably less than the asking price. Of course, when the house was inspected there were a few things that needed repair before the VA would approve the loan. The bank did not want to fix the items and wanted to back out of the deal because they felt they should have waited for a higher offer, so my boyfriend and his agent paid for the repairs. Yesterday, the real estate agent called my boyfriend and told him he needed to wire money to the title company so the property could be closed today. Today, my boyfriend found out that the title company has just declared bankruptcy. Does anyone know what recourse he has? I'm wondering how and if he will get the money back that he wired.
    He probably won't get his money back, but there are things he can do to try.

He can file a claim in Bankruptcy Court. There are some timing issues (i.e. did the Title Company file BK before or after he wired the money), that might work in his favor. If the agent recommended he use of the title company, then he may be able to sue the agent.

He's going to have to do a lot of legwork to get some of that money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Inland_Empire_ Lawyer View Post
      He probably won't get his money back, but there are things he can do to try.

He can file a claim in Bankruptcy Court. There are some timing issues (i.e. did the Title Company file BK before or after he wired the money), that might work in his favor. If the agent recommended he use of the title company, then he may be able to sue the agent.

He's going to have to do a lot of legwork to get some of that money back.
      Thank you for your reply. He will be talking to his agent tomorrow, I've let him know your answer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X