Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

TEXAS - wage garnishment.

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TEXAS - wage garnishment.

    i hear that in TX wage garnishment is not allowed in TX.. i'm not too sure if that's true or not...

    what about student loans are they able to garnish 15% of your wages?...

    they had informed me that i can either have my wages garnished 15% or to pay off the full interest debt of $10,000 to have the debt released.

  • #2
    There are many types of wage withholding orders. Creditor garnishments are one. Federal program student loans are another. There is a federal law (CCPA) that sets the maximum percentage of disposable wages (gross wages less taxes) that can be deducted. However federal law allows states to set lower maximum percentages for certain types of withholding orders.

    My understanding is that TX has a creditor garnishment maximum percentage of zero, which basically means that no creditor garnishment can occur in TX. I have never heard specifically if TX does (or can) cover the federal student loan program deductions, but I would not assume this.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      My reference indicates 100% of wages are exempt from garnishment of general creditors (ie credit card debts) in Tx. but wages can be garnished for such things as child support, student loans....
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.