X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    In Indiana 75% of disposable earnings or 30 x the federal min. hourly wage, whichever is greater is exempt from garnishment.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    It sounds like, after you deduct taxes and child support from gross, you end up negative, is that correct? If so, the employee has no income subject to the garnishment and you would not be able to withhold. I take it the child support is at least 25% of disposable earnings?

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    I am unclear what happened, but I PM'd one of the resident payroll Gurus, Patty, to look at your post.

For payroll matters, you might find the various HR topics better places to post than debt collection.

Leave a comment:

• Wage Garnishment Interrogatory - Unique Situation for me... Indiana

I am in Payroll/ HR and frequently receive Interrogatories from the courts. This is the first time; however, that I have received one that when I've come to the bottom reflects a negative amount to apply to the judgement.

This employee has a child support order, but at this time no other garnishments.

I filled in all the information, but when I get to the bottom and finish it up the amount to be placed in the wage garnishment is -54.83.

What do you do in a situation like this? Do I send it in as a negative number?

I've never run across this situation in the six years I've been working on garnishments.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X