This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Debt Question

I have been seperated from my husband now for almost 9 months awaiting his signature on our divorce papers. During the the last two years living with him I was unable to work due to frequent hospital visits and surgeries. (I am now considered legally disabled and on SSI and Disability.) But during those last two years, a lot of hospital bills were incurred and the hospital is naturally wanting me to pay for these.

My question is, is my husband responsible for part of these bills? Or is it all on me?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Originally posted by Fan4Lost View Post
    I have been seperated from my husband now for almost 9 months awaiting his signature on our divorce papers. During the the last two years living with him I was unable to work due to frequent hospital visits and surgeries. (I am now considered legally disabled and on SSI and Disability.) But during those last two years, a lot of hospital bills were incurred and the hospital is naturally wanting me to pay for these.

My question is, is my husband responsible for part of these bills? Or is it all on me?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any help anyone can offer.
    The last info I have is that the doctrine of necessaries was not abolished in Pa. (has been in some states) It makes one spouse responsible for the medical bills of the other. However; since laws are always changing & I'm not positive how it applies when you are separated/divorced, you might run your question by your divorce attorney. Pa. is not a community property state so he would not be responsible under that "law." Did your husband sign anything (such as when you went into the hosp.) that he would be a responsible party for the med. bills or is there anything in the divorce decree - you didn't mention that there was - that he would be responsible for any of the bills?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I didn't use an attorney to file for divorce because it's uncontested, or at least he said he wouldn't contest it. I'm not sure if he did sign anything while I was in the hospital, I was usually brought in by ambulance. Tough situation here.

I think I better contact a divorce lawyer in the coming days and ask. I'm really cloudy myself anymore what the laws are in PA and what they changed so far. Thanks for replying.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X