X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a new story i'm sure Ohio

Hi,
    I am married. Both names on mortgage and equity loan. I have a large amount of credit card debt in my name only. It crept up out of no where. Both vehicles are paid for. My question is can I file bankruptcy by myself on just the credit card debt?
    thanks,

Ohio: Not a community property state - Ohio is classified as a common law state. All states that are not community property states are termed common law states. (re marital debts)

Yes, just one spouse can file for bankruptcy. When one spouse files for bk in a common law state (ie Ohio), the only debts that come into play are that spouse's separate debts & any debts that can be classified as joint. The other spouse's separate debts continue unaffected by the bk filing.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by mcyuckie View Post
      Hi,
      I am married. Both names on mortgage and equity loan. I have a large amount of credit card debt in my name only. It crept up out of no where. Both vehicles are paid for. My question is can I file bankruptcy by myself on just the credit card debt?
      thanks,
      You'll need a lot more that 1 credit card in order to file BK, unless that credit card is super high. Your spouse will be entirely responsible for the joint debts that you do not reaffirm.
      Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

She said she has a large amt. of credit card debt - could be more than one card though she really didn't say.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The answer is, I had a large amount of credit card debt. I did file by myself, and am now waiting for discharge. I had clear title on a 2006 vehicle and had to purchase it from the trustee for $7500. It has all been a painless process. A settlement of $7500 against $46000 of debt is a good deal. Advice to people, don't use those credit card checks to help your kids out. You think you are doing the right thing, but , it ends up hurting everybody. I have had credit cards since I was eighteen. Never had a problem. Had absolutely no credit card debt 6 years ago. Whoops!!!! It can happen to anyone. Don't feel like a failure. Thank you to all.

Comment

...and this is why I have NO credit cards.

I learned from watching my parents' credit issues.

I absolutely LOVE telling credit consolidators (when they call) that I don't need their services because I have no credit card, thus no debt (other than my house.)

I'm glad it is working out for you. Now, the next time Junior and/or Juniorette ask for help, politely tell them no.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
            (unique up on him)
            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
            (same way)

Comment

I am glad everything is working out for you in the end. That what life is about, living and learning. I did the same thing for my kids and it had similar results.
              Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X