X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defamation/libel at work... what if nothings done? Illinois

Ok, so this is whats going on...

A coworker accused myself and my supervisor of having an affair. SHe claims I told her this and we used company money for hotel rooms. I have no idea where she got this idea from, but I have a feeling its because there was gossip I was next in line for a promotion. She's written this in emails that she sent to various comp committees and the president of the company. She's also been spreading it to my co-workers, who are willing to write statements that she approached them with this rumor.

I have made a formal complaint w/ HR, however, I'm getting the feeling they are going to tell her to stop, and thats all. I want her FIRED!!! i can't imagine someone getting away with this. but my company is so afraid of firing employees, i dont see this happening. If they don't fire her, can I then sue her AND the company for failing to address the situation? Basically, I feel I have a valid complain against her. I dont want to see her work with her, be near her. (plus shes kinda ghetto, so i dont want a confrontation). EIther her or I are gone, but I dont want to have to quit. Yet at the same time, I cannot stand it if she gets away with it... WHAT DO I DO???? i can't force them to fire her, can i?????

Pls help!

The company has no legal obligation to fire her, and you do not have the legal right to determine what discipline they are to hand out. You cannot sue her unless you have some damages, and the company failing to fire her is NOT "refusing to address the situation".
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

some damages? She sent this ridiculous email to the PRES of the company! any shot I had at that promotion is gone! my supervisors job is on the line.

I'm humiliated and angry. She has attacked my character, tarnished my reputation and name. Everyone at work is talking about it... I dont even want to work there anymore...

hows that for damages?
      Last edited by mona797; 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Though I know you're looking for another answer, CBG is correct. They don't have to fire someone because your feel your reputation is being attacked. And why quit? In my opinion, why let her win??

Comment

Could you prove in a court of law that but for that e-mail, you would definitely have gotten the promotion?
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You noted in your first post that you believe HR is going to tell her to stop but that is all. That is all they are required to do - to see that it stops. They don't have to fire her.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X