This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Accident on borrow vehicle UM policy question!! (FLA) Florida

I was in a motorcycle accident with my fiance'...we both acquired the services of the same personal injury attorney. Turns out the at fault driver (car who ran a light and hit us) has next to no inss\urance, and the only monies that have been paid out are to my boyfriend via his own uninsured/underinsured motorist policy. My lawyer is telling me that in FLA even though my boyfriend was covered under his uninsured motorist policy (we were on a borrowed motorcycle that was not owned by him) for his vehicle (not the motorcycle in the accident) that his insurance company is not held liable to pay out the $50k un/underinsured motorist policy to me. Should I seek out another lawyer to sue my fiance's insurance company? Is my attorney not taking this route because it's the law in Florida, or because it's a conflict of interest to be respresenting the both of us? Thanks in advance!

How much uninsured/underinsured coverage did your boyfriend have? How much was paid out to him?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      How much uninsured/underinsured coverage did your boyfriend have? How much was paid out to him?
      As mentioned in the original post it was a $50k UM policy. It's $100k aggregate, so I could have been paid the policy maximum as my fiancé was: $50k.

Comment

Per my reference on Fl., it looks like you have to be a named insured under the policy to collect on uninsured/underinsured coverage - generally is the insured & other household members.

Do you have an ins. co. you can try submitting a claim to where you are the covered insured?

You can get another lawyer's opinion. That is just what my ref. says.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Re

While I was not under his policy, I have been living with him for over two years at the time of the accident...so I would be a 'household member'. I have auto insurance through my parents and they do not have an under/uninsured motorist policy so I don't have a claim to make to my own insurance company. So since I was a member of the same household (I've read several case laws about this type of situation, but never with a borrowed, IE not the policy holder's vehicle) does that mean I should try and fight for the $50k UM and/or more?

Comment

It may depend on if you were "actually listed" as a covered member on the ins. That's what my ref. says - need to be listed as a covered member -- generally people listed as covered members are the insured & the insured's household/family members.

You might run it by a different attorney/have an attorney read the policy or read it yourself. (See what the policy says re covered members & ask the attorney re borrowed vehicles-there might even be something in the pol. re borrowed vehicles.)

Your lawyer might have already mentioned this but you could sue the person who hit you. However; if the person didn't have ins., it's doubtful they have any money to sue for.
            Last edited by Betty3; 03-24-2012, 04:22 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X