This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company parking lot damage California

Our office parking lot is what I call a captive lot as there is no alternative parking (safe or otherwise) within a reasonable distance. I was first promised a reserved parking and then denied and after a hue and cry allowed spaces at predatory pricing rates. The lot was full and I attempted to park a full size car into a spot that was not marked for compact and damaged my car for a repair bill of $1,150. I filed a claim and received a letter from the parking lots insurance company that denied the claim and instructed rather tongue in cheek that I file with MY insurance carrier.

I am suing them in small claims and need some ammunition for the court trial.

What would you be suing them for? How are they responsible for the damage?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Agree, why would you sue them - it wasn't their fault.

You file with your insurance co.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

No one twisted your arm.

Originally posted by banerji View Post
        Our office parking lot is what I call a captive lot as there is no alternative parking (safe or otherwise) within a reasonable distance. I was first promised a reserved parking and then denied and after a hue and cry allowed spaces at predatory pricing rates. The lot was full and I attempted to park a full size car into a spot that was not marked for compact and damaged my car for a repair bill of $1,150. I filed a claim and received a letter from the parking lots insurance company that denied the claim and instructed rather tongue in cheek that I file with MY insurance carrier.

I am suing them in small claims and need some ammunition for the court trial.
        The parking lots insurance company offered you good advice.
        By the time you add up filing fees and court costs and the time you would have to take off from work to appear in court, the amount could very well equal or surpass your deductible on your auto policy.

Good Luck.

..________________________
        ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
        …you get what you pay for. ~ drr
        Last edited by drruthless; 08-27-2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

I fail to see how they are responsible because you put your car into a place that was too small for it. If you are basing your claim on the fact that they did not mark the space for compact cars only, I respectfully suggest that if you were unable to see that the space was not large enough for your car, you do not need "ammunition for the court trial" - you need an eye doctor.

Neither the employer nor the lot management is under any legal obligation to see that you have parking at all, let alone guarantee that there will always be a space open for you in any given lot.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

There's really nothing to sue for - if you lose (most likely you will), you will
            be out court costs & you will still end up having to file with your ins. co.

File a claim with your ins. co. now.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X