Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida - Slipped and fell at grocery store, Can I sue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida - Slipped and fell at grocery store, Can I sue?

Spents 5 1/2 hours in the hospital, I have no insurance and am bruised all over but nothing broken.

My medical bill was over $3,000 and that didn't include the doctor fees.

The floor was not marked and I want to know what to do. Can I sue? If so, for how much?

Thanks guys!

Did you inform the store of the accident when it happened? Many times they will have ins. that will cover your medical bills.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

What was the condition of the floor?

Originally posted by sasas711 View Post
      Spents 5 1/2 hours in the hospital, I have no insurance and am bruised all over but nothing broken.

My medical bill was over $3,000 and that didn't include the doctor fees.

The floor was not marked and I want to know what to do. Can I sue? If so, for how much?
      What do you mean, "the floor was not marked?" Maybe, the store will have the alleged slip and fall on an in-house video camera.
      DrumMajorChange
      Last edited by DrumMajorChange; 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM.
      I am not an attorney. My personal opinions are not legal advice.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." --- Franklin Roosevelt

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

A trap was set once upon a time; however, the designer fell in himself!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrumMajorChange View Post
        Maybe, the store will have the alleged slip and fall on an in-horse video camera.
        I believe DrumMajorChange meant "in house" video camera.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Unless he works at McDonald's, then it IS in-horse and the horse AND camera are both on the freezer....

Sasas, good question. Notify the store, get them a copy of all the bills, request a copy of the video tape from the security cameras and go from there. If they have no tape or cameras, I don't know what to say. If they have cameras though, they may not have the tapes any longer. A lot of stores reuse the video tapes, re-recording over and over. So if you don't ask right away, or make it known to them about the accident immediately, they won't flag the tape for review and the tape is reused.
          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
          I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
          Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Open the flood gates

Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
            Sasas, good question. Notify the store, get them a copy of all the bills, request a copy of the video tape from the security cameras and go from there. If they have no tape or cameras, I don't know what to say. If they have cameras though, they may not have the tapes any longer. A lot of stores reuse the video tapes, re-recording over and over. So if you don't ask right away, or make it known to them about the accident immediately, they won't flag the tape for review and the tape is reused.
            Most stores will not pay a medical claim and admit to an alleged slip and fall if the accident is not reported and/or documented in a timely manner. The original post makes one believe that the incident was not reported. Otherwise, I believe the matter would have been resolved by now.
            DrumMajorChange
            Last edited by DrumMajorChange; 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

It was reported. The store manager made a "accident report" and there just happened to be paramedics at the store,. They also have paper. I called the store and they will not give me a copy of the accident report, but they have already sent it into their corrporate office (which I spoke to today) She told me to send my medical bills and income verification (for lost wages) and she will get with an adjuster to see what they can do.

I went to a lawyer yesterday and (as most would) he says I have a stong case and own him nothing if I get nothing, so I doubt he would take on the case if he didn't think it was worthwhile.

The "unmarked" I was reffering to was the puddle of water I slipped in. There were no signs up that said "Wet Floor". The manager at the store was rude but the corrporate lady was very nice. I'm not the "sue happy" type but I really am in a lot of pain and have had to miss work and am bruised up all over, I can't even pick up my 1 year old daughter or 3 year old step son.

My lawyer said we can get a nice chunch of money from them, he said this particular store likes to keep things quiet and over as quickly as possible.

Comment

Then what are you asking us for?
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Communication is the key

Your second post clears up a lot of issues raised by your first post on this board. The manager taking the accident report and paramedics on-site of the accident builds your case.

Best wishes in getting compensated for your pain and suffering.
                  DrumMajorChange
                  Last edited by DrumMajorChange; 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    Then what are you asking us for?
                    I asked here before I had spoke to the lawyer. Just looking for helpful information.

Originally posted by DrumMajorChange View Post
                    Your second post clears up a lot of issues raised by your first post on this board. The manager taking the accident report and paramedics on-site of the accident builds your case.

Best wishes in getting compensated for your pain and suffering.
                    Thank you DrumMajorChange, just the kind of uplifting words I was looking for!

Comment

Why should this cost $3000? That is the real problem.

You had to pay all of that because malpractice insurance costs a ton, and sue happy people get juries to "get the bad doctors." So the doctors cover themselves by ordering otherwise unnecessary, but expensive tests. And half of that bill paid for all of the expensive precautions against spreading HIV. Everything nonmetal you touched in the emergency room or the ambulance had to be disposed of as medical waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Troubleshooter View Post
                        Why should this cost $3000? That is the real problem.

You had to pay all of that because malpractice insurance costs a ton, and sue happy people get juries to "get the bad doctors." So the doctors cover themselves by ordering otherwise unnecessary, but expensive tests. And half of that bill paid for all of the expensive precautions against spreading HIV. Everything nonmetal you touched in the emergency room or the ambulance had to be disposed of as medical waste.
                        Is this directed at me?! I sure hope not!

I don't control what they charge or what they did in the ER for me.... when I saw the bill I was like ! I'm not going to sue to own the whole chain of grocery stores, just to cover the medical bills and my lost time at work. I know people who go and look for things to sue over. Heck, I slipped and fell in WalMart when I was 7 months pregnant and I wasn't hurt at all so I didn't even go to the doctor. I am sure I COULD have gotten something out of that IF I were one of those sue happy people.

Comment

My friend's mother slipped on some spilled ice cream at a local mall. Security came and even asked if she needed an ambulance. The next day she had a sore neck and ankle was swollen. She didn't have insurance so she called the mall. They said because they were not aware of the spill, and could not mark it so no one would fall, they are not liable and would not be responsible for medical bills. she called some attorney's and they said she did not have a case. The mall was not negligent as they were not aware of the spill.

Comment

jhnsmith910, please do not reply to old threads - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sasas711 View Post
                              Is this directed at me?! I sure hope not!

I don't control what they charge or what they did in the ER for me.... when I saw the bill I was like ! I'm not going to sue to own the whole chain of grocery stores, just to cover the medical bills and my lost time at work. I know people who go and look for things to sue over. Heck, I slipped and fell in WalMart when I was 7 months pregnant and I wasn't hurt at all so I didn't even go to the doctor. I am sure I COULD have gotten something out of that IF I were one of those sue happy people.
                              No!!!

It is directed as being the reason health care costs so much. The dumdums in Congress are fixing the wrong problem. The doctors are too busy covering their own rear ends to save you any money.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X