My tire fell off after service. Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tire fell off after service. Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week and a half ago I had taking my vehicle into a tire and repair shop to be inspected and have the oil changed. The service was completed and I took my vehicle home.

On Tuesday June 9, 2009 I was driving home with two family members. I began taking a corner at 30-35 mph when I felt a vibration. The next thing I know my vehicle dropped grinding on my rim then the tire and rim completely flew off appoximatly 100 yards of the road into the woods. I was able to steer the vehicle into a driveway.

I immediatly called the repair shop to inform them what had happened. They had forgotten to tourqe the lugnuts on the wheel properley. They immediatly sent out a tow truck to tow the vehicle to their shop. They told me that they would provide a rental car and that the insurance adjuster would be out to inspect the vehicle.

So on Thurday June 11, 2009 we recieve a call from the insurcance adjuster. He proceeds to ask about what happened in the accident then asks if there were any injuries. We informed him that all three of us had seen our family doctors. Our doctors had said we had muscle strain to our necks and one family also with low back muscle strain.

The adjuster then tells us that he needs to forward the claim to another department now that there are injuries involved. The next day we recieve a call from the other department who happens to be a law office representing the said repair shop. They ask again what had happened and what injuries we recieved. The lawyer then said that they would appraise my vehicle for damages, and that we would have to wait till all treatments are finished in order to determine on a settlement.

I have kept all paperwork related to this including the original invoice of the inspection, doctor statements, prescription reciepts. Now that my family and I are waiting I've becomed worried on what this outcome may be. I just don't want to be taken advantaged of. I have not contacted a lawyer because I wanted to wait and see what they were going to do. What would a resonable settle be in a case like this. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's me again. My vehicle is still not fixed. I had it at their shop for two weeks with two adjusters/appraisers to look at it. My vehicle was vandlelized and left outside to whoever. I told them to tow it to a local collision center for the repairs since they could not seem to get it started. I had my shop do an estimate on it which came out to eight grand. The repair shops insurance gave me an estimate for twenty eight hundred dollars and wanted me to sign a release. Their appraisal does not cover half the damage. I tried explaining to them that it would not cover it all. They turned around and said they refused to pay my shop and that I had to take it to another shop that they had selected. I declined. They have been trying to steer me since. They also pulled the rental vehicle stating that it has become too expensive. I informed them that they are leaving me with-out any form of transportation. They told me it was my fault because I won't take it to another shop, and that they don't usually cover a rental more than two weeks. I have since sent it into my insurance and paid for my deductable. They told me to get the repair shops insurance to take care of the glass because I would not be getting my deductable back. Now I've been dealing with them complainging about the inside door panel that the glass scratched when it was broken. They have said they refuse to pay for these repairs because it cost too much and that it's not justified replacing the inside door panel when it can be buffed. I've tried explaing that it is plastic and can not be buffed. She says i need to get a statment from a third party to substantiate the damage. It's been a month and 9 days without any action on their part just denials and not returning calls. This whole ordeal has been a headache and left me without a vehicle. They have refused to pay for damages resulting from their negligence at a tire shop that couldn't even perform the most important and easy task of tourqing lugnuts on my vehicle. It seems to me that Insurance companies are a form of organized crime that will rape and pillage consumers and claimants for their benefit. I wanted to know what options I have should I sue for personal injury, pain and suffering, emotional distress. Also for them trying to steer me to their shops what should I do complain to the BBB Consumer Affairs? Insurance commisioner?
    Last edited by kien360; 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Duplicate thread. kien, you posted this question/thread previously under another forum. Please post your question only once. All responders read all forums. If you have something additional to add, please add it to your original thread. Thanks.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Repair shop will make your prove your claim

Originally posted by kien360 View Post
        A week and a half ago I had taking my vehicle into a tire and repair shop to be inspected and have the oil changed. The service was completed and I took my vehicle home.

On Tuesday June 9, 2009 I was driving home with two family members. I began taking a corner at 30-35 mph when I felt a vibration. The next thing I know my vehicle dropped grinding on my rim then the tire and rim completely flew off appoximatly 100 yards of the road into the woods. I was able to steer the vehicle into a driveway.

I immediatly called the repair shop to inform them what had happened. They had forgotten to tourqe the lugnuts on the wheel properley. They immediatly sent out a tow truck to tow the vehicle to their shop. They told me that they would provide a rental car and that the insurance adjuster would be out to inspect the vehicle.

So on Thurday June 11, 2009 we recieve a call from the insurcance adjuster. He proceeds to ask about what happened in the accident then asks if there were any injuries. We informed him that all three of us had seen our family doctors. Our doctors had said we had muscle strain to our necks and one family also with low back muscle strain.

The adjuster then tells us that he needs to forward the claim to another department now that there are injuries involved. The next day we recieve a call from the other department who happens to be a law office representing the said repair shop. They ask again what had happened and what injuries we recieved. The lawyer then said that they would appraise my vehicle for damages, and that we would have to wait till all treatments are finished in order to determine on a settlement.

I have kept all paperwork related to this including the original invoice of the inspection, doctor statements, prescription reciepts. Now that my family and I are waiting I've becomed worried on what this outcome may be. I just don't want to be taken advantaged of. I have not contacted a lawyer because I wanted to wait and see what they were going to do. What would a resonable settle be in a case like this. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
        The alleged injuries to you and your family members have escalated this matter to point where you must prove your claim that the repair shop caused this accident. For example, all employees of the body shop have been instructed not to talk to you and any of your representatives regarding the alleged matter.

You should consult an attorney in this matter to attempt to resolve the matter. Otherwise, the body shop and attorneys for the alleged body shop might wait for you to file a lawsuit.

Originally posted by kien360 View Post

The attorney for the repair shop will question why it took over a week and a half for the tire and rim to come off. Logic says you had to be driving 55 mph and over in that period of time and the tire did not come off.
        I am not an attorney. My personal opinions are not legal advice.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." --- Franklin Roosevelt

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

A trap was set once upon a time; however, the designer fell in himself!!

Comment

I made this thread the duplicate so it wouldn't get replies. (OP posted his question under two different forums on this website.) Since it did get a reply, I went back & made the other thread the duplicate. (It had no replies yet.) Go ahead & post replies to this thread here. We don't want replies on two different threads/forums.

Thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

But I can't find the other post. Which forum is it in?

Did the wheel come off the brake drum or disk, or did the tire come off the wheel?

You said it was on the rims, which indicates that the tire came off the wheel. This can happen if the tire is defective, if something on the road damaged it, or if a vandal slashed the tire, but not enough to immediately deflate it. But I can't think of anything due to bad workmanship in a garage that would make a tire come off a wheel.

Not torquing the lugnuts means the wheel came off the brake assembly. But then it would not be riding on the rims, but the brake drum or disk.

So the story is inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Troubleshooter View Post
              But I can't find the other post. Which forum is it in?
              We (very vast majority of responders) don't make a cross ref. to the duplicate thread - it is the same as this one.
              Last edited by Betty3; 07-28-2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X