Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

"Slip/Fall" Nevada

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Slip/Fall" Nevada


    Last Sept. I was getting my oil changed at a place that sells gas, washes cars, etc. I was told to go inside to pay and stay on a certain path which is painted on the ground to follow.

    I was with my young son and we walked in and paid, then on the same path on the way back, I slipped and crashed to the ground with pain in my ankle. There was a big blue vaccum cleaner hose twisted up near tthe path and also a spot of oil (that was stained onto my jeans afterwards). Two car wash attendants ran over to me, one apologizing and the other asking if I was okay and helped me up. I hobbled to the waiting area for my car. SPoek to the same girl who had helped my up and left.

    That night my ankle was in a great deal of pain when I moved it. I could walk, but the ankle was swelling. The next morning, my ankle was swelled up HUGE! I took my mom and we went to the business and filed a report with the security person. He took pictures of my ankle and told me I could go to any doctor I wanted to. He also told me I could NOT have a copy of my report unless I had an attorney. I explained I wasn't wanting to sue, but that I didn't feel my insurance through my job should have to pay.

    I went to an "urgent care" who put me on crutches, sent me for xrays and told me to stay off of it as they thought it was broken. The MRI they did did not show a break, however after seeing the referred orthopedic doctor, I found out the ligament was broken. He sent me to physical therapy. I am still in physical therapy and have pains!!

    My question there any legal action that can be filed? I did see an attorney but so far the company is saying they are not at fault. They also miraculously have no video of that particular incident that would prove I was on their "path".

    I took pictures of the entire "path". Now they have it all fenced off and re-painted.

    Case?? If so, how long are the statutes?

    Thanks for any help/advice!

  • #2
    This is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

    Therefore, statutes don't really apply.

    You get an attorney and sue them for your medical bills. Make sure you document everything.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

    I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

    Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.


    • #3
      If the amount sued for is $5,000 or less in Nevada, you can consider suing in small claims court without a lawyer.

      If you feel the need for a lawyer, you can ask the court to include the lawyer's fee in the amount of your judgment. You said you saw an attorney - did they suggest suing?
      Last edited by Betty3; 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      • #4
        From the sounds of it I bet the medical bills are already past the $10,000 mark.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy. is a good resource!


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.