Thread: ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's death

Default ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's death

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/8222343.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 19, 2004

ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's death

Man recounts frustrations with sick son

BY MARA H. GOTTFRIED
    Pioneer Press

A St. Paul man charged Thursday with murder in the death of his 6-month-old son
    told investigators he "freaked out" and intentionally dropped the child after
    the infant soiled himself, a towel and the floor.

When Steven D. Showcatally brought Gustavo Adolpho Hunt, whom he and his wife
    adopted from Guatemala in November, to St. Paul Children's Hospital on Tuesday,
    the baby had multiple skull fractures and died less than three hours later,
    according to the Ramsey County attorney's office complaint charging Showcatally
    with second-degree unintentional murder.

The complaint gave this account:

Showcatally, 34, said he picked up Gustavo from day care after 3 p.m. Tuesday.
    The day-care staff gave Showcatally a bag of Gustavo's soiled clothes because,
    as Showcatally told investigators, the boy had "messed his outfit with diarrhea
    again."

At the family home at 2023 Grand Ave., Showcatally noticed Gustavo had soiled
    himself again and the fecal material was all over his back.

Showcatally bathed Gustavo and wrapped him in a towel, but the baby had a bowel
    movement on the towel. Showcatally put Gustavo on a bedroom floor and while he
    went to get a clean towel, the baby had another bowel movement on the floor.

"I freaked out, well, I didn't freak out," Showcatally told officers,
    explaining that he threw the towel.

Showcatally prepared to give Gustavo another bath and held the boy's buttocks
    under the faucet, "hosing him down." He said he then accidentally dropped
    Gustavo, whose head hit the bottom of the tub.

At about 5 p.m., Showcatally called his wife, Gail Hunt, and told her there had
    been an accident in the bathtub, that Gustavo's head was swelling and that she
    needed to come home .

Hunt told Showcatally to take Gustavo to the hospital and said she would meet
    him there. Showcatally kept telling Hunt he was sorry, she told investigators.

After arriving at the hospital with Gustavo at about 5:20 p.m., the boy was
    taken to the operating room at 6:35 p.m., but he died shortly before 8 p.m.

A scan of Gustavo's head showed severe head injuries that were inconsistent
    with Showcatally's explanation of the injuries and St. Paul police were called
    to the hospital.

In addition to skull fractures, an autopsy found multiple subgaleal
    hemorrhages, which is blood between the scalp and skull. The Ramsey County
    medical examiner's office determined the cause of death to be craniocerebral
    injuries — traumatic injuries that can involve the brain, cranial nerves and
    other structures — and the manner of death to be homicide.

Showcatally and Hunt volunteered to go with police to give statements.
    Showcatally described his work situation as troubled.

When investigators told him that doctors said the severity of Gustavo's
    injuries was inconsistent with being dropped four or five feet, "he hung his
    head and nodded. He said he was sure what the doctors said was true. He said he
    killed Gustavo."

Showcatally told investigators that he dropped Gustavo accidentally, but then
    twice more intentionally. Afterward, he said he noticed the baby's eyes were
    twitching and rolling back in his head and he called his wife.

Showcatally is being held in the Ramsey County jail. His first court appearance
    is scheduled for today.

Showcatally and Hunt had been trying to adopt a child for four years when they
    brought Gustavo home.

Help available for stressed parents

For parents who feel overwhelmed with their children, a University of Minnesota
    professor says, "it's important to recognize you're frustrated and recognize
    you're not alone."

Try to "recognize you're having difficulty handling the strains and stresses
    that parenthood inevitably brings with it," said Susan J. Wells, the University
    of Minnesota's Gamble-Skogmo Professor in Child Welfare. "If you recognize it,
    you can get help and training, you can take a break while someone watches the
    child, you can take a mental break if you can't remove yourself from the
    situation. It's the old count-to-10 method."

Commenting on the allegations in this week's child death in St. Paul, Wells
    said, "It's not unusual that you would get this kind of description where a
    parent just loses it due to mounting frustrations that they can't handle."

Help can be found through the United Way's First Call for Help by calling
    651-291-0211. To locate a parent support group, call Prevent Child Abuse
    Minnesota at 651-523-0099. Resources for parents by county can be found at
    www.familysupport.org/programs.cfm/map.cfm.

— Mara H. Gottfried

Mara H. Gottfried can be reached at mgottfried@pioneerpress.com or
    651-228-5262.

Roberta
    mom to Juliette, 8, adopted from China

When I read this article in my morning paper I thought of my son at six months,
    when I met him, and cried over the image of a man intentionally dropping an
    infant, twice.

J.
    Chilled to the bone

In article <20040319203435.07039.00000049@mb-m16.aol.com>, robyf@aol.comnojunk
    (Roberta) writes:
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/8222343.htmPosted on Fri, Mar. 19, 2004ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's deathMan recounts frustrations with sick sonBY MARA H. GOTTFRIEDPioneer PressA St. Paul man charged Thursday with murder in the death of his 6-month-oldsontold investigators he "freaked out" and intentionally dropped the child afterthe infant soiled himself, a towel and the floor.When Steven D. Showcatally brought Gustavo Adolpho Hunt, whom he and his wifeadopted from Guatemala in November, to St. Paul Children's Hospital onTuesday,the baby had multiple skull fractures and died less than three hours later,according to the Ramsey County attorney's office complaint chargingShowcatallywith second-degree unintentional murder.The complaint gave this account:Showcatally, 34, said he picked up Gustavo from day care after 3 p.m.Tuesday.The day-care staff gave Showcatally a bag of Gustavo's soiled clothesbecause,as Showcatally told investigators, the boy had "messed his outfit withdiarrheaagain."At the family home at 2023 Grand Ave., Showcatally noticed Gustavo had soiledhimself again and the fecal material was all over his back.Showcatally bathed Gustavo and wrapped him in a towel, but the baby had abowelmovement on the towel. Showcatally put Gustavo on a bedroom floor and whilehewent to get a clean towel, the baby had another bowel movement on the floor."I freaked out, well, I didn't freak out," Showcatally told officers,explaining that he threw the towel.Showcatally prepared to give Gustavo another bath and held the boy's buttocksunder the faucet, "hosing him down." He said he then accidentally droppedGustavo, whose head hit the bottom of the tub.At about 5 p.m., Showcatally called his wife, Gail Hunt, and told her therehadbeen an accident in the bathtub, that Gustavo's head was swelling and thatsheneeded to come home .Hunt told Showcatally to take Gustavo to the hospital and said she would meethim there. Showcatally kept telling Hunt he was sorry, she toldinvestigators.After arriving at the hospital with Gustavo at about 5:20 p.m., the boy wastaken to the operating room at 6:35 p.m., but he died shortly before 8 p.m.A scan of Gustavo's head showed severe head injuries that were inconsistentwith Showcatally's explanation of the injuries and St. Paul police werecalledto the hospital.In addition to skull fractures, an autopsy found multiple subgalealhemorrhages, which is blood between the scalp and skull. The Ramsey Countymedical examiner's office determined the cause of death to be craniocerebralinjuries — traumatic injuries that can involve the brain, cranial nerves andother structures — and the manner of death to be homicide.Showcatally and Hunt volunteered to go with police to give statements.Showcatally described his work situation as troubled.When investigators told him that doctors said the severity of Gustavo'sinjuries was inconsistent with being dropped four or five feet, "he hung hishead and nodded. He said he was sure what the doctors said was true. He saidhekilled Gustavo."Showcatally told investigators that he dropped Gustavo accidentally, but thentwice more intentionally. Afterward, he said he noticed the baby's eyes weretwitching and rolling back in his head and he called his wife.Showcatally is being held in the Ramsey County jail. His first courtappearanceis scheduled for today.Showcatally and Hunt had been trying to adopt a child for four years whentheybrought Gustavo home.Help available for stressed parentsFor parents who feel overwhelmed with their children, a University ofMinnesotaprofessor says, "it's important to recognize you're frustrated and recognizeyou're not alone."Try to "recognize you're having difficulty handling the strains and stressesthat parenthood inevitably brings with it," said Susan J. Wells, theUniversityof Minnesota's Gamble-Skogmo Professor in Child Welfare. "If you recognizeit,you can get help and training, you can take a break while someone watches thechild, you can take a mental break if you can't remove yourself from thesituation. It's the old count-to-10 method."Commenting on the allegations in this week's child death in St. Paul, Wellssaid, "It's not unusual that you would get this kind of description where aparent just loses it due to mounting frustrations that they can't handle."Help can be found through the United Way's First Call for Help by calling651-291-0211. To locate a parent support group, call Prevent Child AbuseMinnesota at 651-523-0099. Resources for parents by county can be found atwww.familysupport.org/programs.cfm/map.cfm.— Mara H. GottfriedMara H. Gottfried can be reached at mgottfried@pioneerpress.com or651-228-5262.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

robyf@aol.comnojunk (Roberta) wrote in message news:<20040319203435.07039.00000049@mb-m16.aol.com>...top posting: My God! Not another one. Adoption has become a potential
    death sentence for children.

Di

Posted on Fri, Mar. 19, 2004 ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's death Man recounts frustrations with sick son BY MARA H. GOTTFRIED Pioneer Press A St. Paul man charged Thursday with murder in the death of his 6-month-old son told investigators he "freaked out" and intentionally dropped the child after the infant soiled himself, a towel and the floor. When Steven D. Showcatally brought Gustavo Adolpho Hunt, whom he and his wife adopted from Guatemala in November, to St. Paul Children's Hospital on Tuesday, the baby had multiple skull fractures and died less than three hours later, according to the Ramsey County attorney's office complaint charging Showcatally with second-degree unintentional murder. The complaint gave this account: Showcatally, 34, said he picked up Gustavo from day care after 3 p.m. Tuesday. The day-care staff gave Showcatally a bag of Gustavo's soiled clothes because, as Showcatally told investigators, the boy had "messed his outfit with diarrhea again." At the family home at 2023 Grand Ave., Showcatally noticed Gustavo had soiled himself again and the fecal material was all over his back. Showcatally bathed Gustavo and wrapped him in a towel, but the baby had a bowel movement on the towel. Showcatally put Gustavo on a bedroom floor and while he went to get a clean towel, the baby had another bowel movement on the floor. "I freaked out, well, I didn't freak out," Showcatally told officers, explaining that he threw the towel. Showcatally prepared to give Gustavo another bath and held the boy's buttocks under the faucet, "hosing him down." He said he then accidentally dropped Gustavo, whose head hit the bottom of the tub. At about 5 p.m., Showcatally called his wife, Gail Hunt, and told her there had been an accident in the bathtub, that Gustavo's head was swelling and that she needed to come home . Hunt told Showcatally to take Gustavo to the hospital and said she would meet him there. Showcatally kept telling Hunt he was sorry, she told investigators. After arriving at the hospital with Gustavo at about 5:20 p.m., the boy was taken to the operating room at 6:35 p.m., but he died shortly before 8 p.m. A scan of Gustavo's head showed severe head injuries that were inconsistent with Showcatally's explanation of the injuries and St. Paul police were called to the hospital. In addition to skull fractures, an autopsy found multiple subgaleal hemorrhages, which is blood between the scalp and skull. The Ramsey County medical examiner's office determined the cause of death to be craniocerebral injuries — traumatic injuries that can involve the brain, cranial nerves and other structures — and the manner of death to be homicide. Showcatally and Hunt volunteered to go with police to give statements. Showcatally described his work situation as troubled. When investigators told him that doctors said the severity of Gustavo's injuries was inconsistent with being dropped four or five feet, "he hung his head and nodded. He said he was sure what the doctors said was true. He said he killed Gustavo." Showcatally told investigators that he dropped Gustavo accidentally, but then twice more intentionally. Afterward, he said he noticed the baby's eyes were twitching and rolling back in his head and he called his wife. Showcatally is being held in the Ramsey County jail. His first court appearance is scheduled for today. Showcatally and Hunt had been trying to adopt a child for four years when they brought Gustavo home. Help available for stressed parents For parents who feel overwhelmed with their children, a University of Minnesota professor says, "it's important to recognize you're frustrated and recognize you're not alone." Try to "recognize you're having difficulty handling the strains and stresses that parenthood inevitably brings with it," said Susan J. Wells, the University of Minnesota's Gamble-Skogmo Professor in Child Welfare. "If you recognize it, you can get help and training, you can take a break while someone watches the child, you can take a mental break if you can't remove yourself from the situation. It's the old count-to-10 method." Commenting on the allegations in this week's child death in St. Paul, Wells said, "It's not unusual that you would get this kind of description where a parent just loses it due to mounting frustrations that they can't handle." Help can be found through the United Way's First Call for Help by calling 651-291-0211. To locate a parent support group, call Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota at 651-523-0099. Resources for parents by county can be found at www.familysupport.org/programs.cfm/map.cfm. — Mara H. Gottfried Mara H. Gottfried can be reached at mgottfried@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5262. Roberta mom to Juliette, 8, adopted from China

patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian) wrote> >
    top posting: My God! Not another one. Adoption has become a potential death sentence for children. Di
    Actually, birth is.

There was a particularly awful case here recently where an 18-month
    old baby was beaten to death by his (biological) father, who felt a
    need to 'toughen up' the child. He apparently had weekly toughening up
    sessions. In the last one, he propped the boy against a bed and landed
    on him in a football-style tackle.

I wonder if the homicide rates for a-kids is any different than for
    b-kids. Especially b-kids living with step-fathers or mother's
    boyfriends, as I suppose many kept kids of unmarried moms eventually
    do.

Rupa

rkbose@pacific.net.sg (Rupa Bose) wrote in message news:<e5619372.0403201059.787d4ec4@posting.google. com>...
    patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian) wrote> >
    top posting: My God! Not another one. Adoption has become a potential death sentence for children. Di
    Actually, birth is. *** There was a particularly awful case here recently where an 18-month old baby was beaten to death by his (biological) father, who felt a need to 'toughen up' the child. He apparently had weekly toughening up sessions. In the last one, he propped the boy against a bed and landed on him in a football-style tackle.
    Monstrous.
    I wonder if the homicide rates for a-kids is any different than for b-kids. Especially b-kids living with step-fathers or mother's boyfriends, as I suppose many kept kids of unmarried moms eventually do. Rupa

That brings us back to the studies on non biologically related
    children
    being at greater risk of harm from their non-biologically related
    parent/s than biological ones. I'd think a child with two biologically
    unrelated parents would would be at twice the risk than one with only
    one.

Di

patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian) wrote
    That brings us back to the studies on non biologically related children being at greater risk of harm from their non-biologically related parent/s than biological ones. I'd think a child with two biologically unrelated parents would would be at twice the risk than one with only one. Di
    I don't think it works that way. The mitigating factor is wanting the
    child.

I imagine that a child who was dumped on two parents that didn't want
    it (which did happen to orphans in the old days, when they were
    reluctantly taken in by family members out of a sense of duty), it
    might well increase the risk, of abuse if not homicide. But in
    adoption, at least one, and usually both, parents actually choose to
    parent the child.

Step-parents are more likely to view the child as a necessary evil
    attached to the person they wish to live with.

Rupa

rkbose@pacific.net.sg (Rupa Bose) wrote in message news:<e5619372.0403202256.27dae0c7@posting.google. com>...
    I don't think it works that way. The mitigating factor is wanting the child. I imagine that a child who was dumped on two parents that didn't want it (which did happen to orphans in the old days, when they were reluctantly taken in by family members out of a sense of duty), it might well increase the risk, of abuse if not homicide. But in adoption, at least one, and usually both, parents actually choose to parent the child. Step-parents are more likely to view the child as a necessary evil attached to the person they wish to live with.
    Everything that I have ever read suggests that children are more
    likely to be killed by a male stepparent (or their mother's boyfriend)
    than by a female stepparent/father's girlfriend. I don't know if this
    is accurate or not, but if it is true, it would suggest that there is
    something going on beyond the "non-biological" relationship between
    killer/abuser and child.

L.

"Lainie Petersen" <sfi30@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:671d8c26.0403210929.73115a3a@posting.google.c om...
    rkbose@pacific.net.sg (Rupa Bose) wrote in message
    news:<e5619372.0403202256.27dae0c7@posting.google. com>...
    I don't think it works that way. The mitigating factor is wanting the child. I imagine that a child who was dumped on two parents that didn't want it (which did happen to orphans in the old days, when they were reluctantly taken in by family members out of a sense of duty), it might well increase the risk, of abuse if not homicide. But in adoption, at least one, and usually both, parents actually choose to parent the child. Step-parents are more likely to view the child as a necessary evil attached to the person they wish to live with.
    Everything that I have ever read suggests that children are more likely to be killed by a male stepparent (or their mother's boyfriend) than by a female stepparent/father's girlfriend. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but if it is true, it would suggest that there is something going on beyond the "non-biological" relationship between killer/abuser and child. L.
    Like male ownership of women.

Marley

rkbose@pacific.net.sg (Rupa Bose) wrote in message news:<e5619372.0403202256.27dae0c7@posting.google. com>...
    That brings us back to the studies on non biologically related children being at greater risk of harm from their non-biologically related parent/s than biological ones. I'd think a child with two biologically unrelated parents would would be at twice the risk than one with only one. Di
    I don't think it works that way. The mitigating factor is wanting the child. I imagine that a child who was dumped on two parents that didn't want it (which did happen to orphans in the old days, when they were reluctantly taken in by family members out of a sense of duty), it might well increase the risk, of abuse if not homicide. But in adoption, at least one, and usually both, parents actually choose to parent the child. Step-parents are more likely to view the child as a necessary evil attached to the person they wish to live with. Rupa
    Your opinion contradicts your theory that wanting a child is the
    mitigating factor between the two non-biologial relationships. It
    obviously isn't true given the number of children being abused and
    murdered by their adopters.

Di

>Subject: Re: ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's death
    From: patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian)Date: 3/21/04 3:50 PM Pacific Standard TimeMessage-id: <9a095db9.0403211550.583fe27a@posting.google.com>r kbose@pacific.net.sg (Rupa Bose) wrote in messagenews:<e5619372.0403202256.27dae0c7@posting. google.com>...
    I don't think it works that way. The mitigating factor is wanting the child. I imagine that a child who was dumped on two parents that didn't want it (which did happen to orphans in the old days, when they were reluctantly taken in by family members out of a sense of duty), it might well increase the risk, of abuse if not homicide. But in adoption, at least one, and usually both, parents actually choose to parent the child. Step-parents are more likely to view the child as a necessary evil attached to the person they wish to live with. Rupa
    Your opinion contradicts your theory that wanting a child is themitigating factor between the two non-biologial relationships. Itobviously isn't true given the number of children being abused andmurdered by their adopters.Di
    Huh? Where did you buy that dime-store conclusion?

Diane Welfare, "she describes the US market as a "$US1.4 billion business in
    baby trafficking". ~~121603
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...336884771.html

From: patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian)Date: 3/21/04 6:50 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <9a095db9.0403211550.583fe27a@posting.google.com >
    < snip >
    Your opinion contradicts your theory that wanting a child is themitigating factor between the two non-biologial relationships. Itobviously isn't true given the number of children being abusedand murdered by their adopters.
    There's something seriously wrong with you.

Dad

Your opinion contradicts your theory that wanting a child is the mitigating factor between the two non-biologial relationships. It obviously isn't true given the number of children being abused and murdered by their adopters.
    The absolute number seems large, but then again, many more bio-kids
    are killed by their bio-parents. That cannot lead to the
    generalization that kids should not be raised by parents.

Rupa

adoptadad@aol.com (AdoptaDad) wrote in message news:<20040321221143.17939.00000141@mb-m06.aol.com>...
    Subject: Re: ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's deathFrom: patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian)Date: 3/21/04 6:50 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <9a095db9.0403211550.583fe27a@posting.google.com > < snip >
    Your opinion contradicts your theory that wanting a child is themitigating factor between the two non-biologial relationships. Itobviously isn't true given the number of children being abusedand murdered by their adopters.
    There's something seriously wrong with you. Dad
    There is something seriously wrong with you if you can't see that
    Rupa's theory of adopters wanting a child (as opposed to step fathers
    who supposedly don't) reduces the risk of the child being abused or
    murdered by their adopters - given the extraordinary number of adopted
    children being murdered on almost a daily basis in the US. Or are you
    suggesting those particular adopters who abuse and murder must not
    have really 'wanted' the child when they adopted it?

Di

From: patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian)Date: 3/22/04 3:24 AM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <9a095db9.0403220024.1b8a4902@posting.google.com>a doptadad@aol.com (AdoptaDad) wrote in messagenews:<20040321221143.17939.00000141@mb-m06.aol.com>...
    Subject: Re: ST. PAUL: Father charged in baby's deathFrom: patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian)Date: 3/21/04 6:50 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <9a095db9.0403211550.583fe27a@posting.google.com > < snip >
    There's something seriously wrong with you. Dad
    There is something seriously wrong with you if you can't see thatRupa's theory of adopters wanting a child (as opposed to step fatherswho supposedly don't) reduces the risk of the child being abused ormurdered by their adopters - given the extraordinary number of adoptedchildren being murdered on almost a daily basis in the US.

What "extraordinary number" would that be, Diane? Bottom line, do you have
    any studies or data to indicate that adopted children are more or less likely
    to be murdered by their parents than non-adopted children?

Or are you just pissin' upstream, again?

Dad

There is something seriously wrong with you if you can't see that Rupa's theory of adopters wanting a child (as opposed to step fathers who supposedly don't) reduces the risk of the child being abused or murdered by their adopters - given the extraordinary number of adopted children being murdered on almost a daily basis in the US. Or are you suggesting those particular adopters who abuse and murder must not have really 'wanted' the child when they adopted it? Di
    It's not really an extraordinary number, compared to the bio-kids
    killed by their bio-parents. Kid-killing gets a lot of publicity, as
    well it should.

Rupa

I have read about this story elsewhere. It seems that the mother adopted the
    baby as a single parent and then married the murderer. The baby had not been
    adopted by the mother's husband.

Very bad (deadly) choice by the mother, but apparently he wasn't considered in
    her homestudy.

Roberta
    mom to Juliette, 8, adopted from China

In article <9a095db9.0403220024.1b8a4902@posting.google.com >,
    patrice068@optusnet.com.au (Dian) wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with you if you can't see that Rupa's theory of adopters wanting a child (as opposed to step fathers who supposedly don't) reduces the risk of the child being abused or murdered by their adopters - given the extraordinary number of adopted children being murdered on almost a daily basis in the US.

Dear gawd, don't tell me you actually BELIEVE all of Lori Crackangelo's
    "statistics"?

I'm going to laugh at you -- a lot!

steve

"Dian" <patrice068@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    news:9a095db9.0403220024.1b8a4902@posting.google.c om...
    adoptadad@aol.com (AdoptaDad) wrote in message
    news:<20040321221143.17939.00000141@mb-m06.aol.com>...
    There's something seriously wrong with you. Dad There is something seriously wrong with you if you can't see that Rupa's theory of adopters wanting a child (as opposed to step fathers who supposedly don't) reduces the risk of the child being abused or murdered by their adopters - given the extraordinary number of adopted children being murdered on almost a daily basis in the US.
    "Extraordinary number"? No wonder very few people take you seriously. I
    think the M's could use you in their SH fight.

Kathy 1