Thread: former tenant abandoned her car on my property

Default former tenant abandoned her car on my property

This is one last followup to my ongoing saga with my former renters. For
    those who don't know, a young couple moved off my property after their lease
    expired and they left a lot of junk and personal items including a car. I
    gave them both ample time and notice to clear the stuff out or they could
    face small claims court. Both were very hard to get a hold of and although
    I know where the girl lives, the guy has disappeared and left no hint of
    where he has gone. I think it will be a lot of trouble to win in small
    claims and actually recover the cleanup costs from the couple. I would
    rather not go that route

However, the girl has left her car behind and therein lies my final
    question. Does having her car give me any leverage in recovering my costs.
    Can I just hold on to it indefinitely and refuse to give it to her unless
    she pays for (at least half of) the cleanup? Is there a possibility of
    being able to sell the car if she refuses to ever pay me or claim the car?
    Is there any other way I could use the fact that she left the car to my
    advantage. By the way, I don't know if the car is fully paid for.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

LT

Larry Travis wrote:>>
    This is one last followup to my ongoing saga with my former renters. For those who don't know, a young couple moved off my property after their lease expired and they left a lot of junk and personal items including a car. I gave them both ample time and notice to clear the stuff out or they could face small claims court. Both were very hard to get a hold of and although I know where the girl lives, the guy has disappeared and left no hint of where he has gone. I think it will be a lot of trouble to win in small claims and actually recover the cleanup costs from the couple. I would rather not go that route
    However, the girl has left her car behind and therein lies my final question. Does having her car give me any leverage in recovering my costs. Can I just hold on to it indefinitely and refuse to give it to her unless she pays for (at least half of) the cleanup? Is there a possibility of being able to sell the car if she refuses to ever pay me or claim the car? Is there any other way I could use the fact that she left the car to my advantage. By the way, I don't know if the car is fully paid for.
    Thanks in advance for any replies,
    LT
    Tell her she has x days to remove the car. After that it gets towed to a
    storage yard.
    She pays the tow bill and storage fees.
    Sale of car is out of the question unless you can prove ownership and have
    the clear title.
    For back rent, take her to court.

Strangely, the same thing happened to me, except there was no car. I would
    let the police tow away the abandoned car because it is a registered and
    licensed thing that you don't want to mess with. In my case, I packed up the
    guy's stuff and notified his friends and relatives, and stuck everything in
    the garage for a week, and then threw out the junky stuff and saved the
    "good" stuff another few weeks, and gave stuff to the salvation army, etc.,
    and finally I got rid of everything except his family photo album, and about
    6 months later he showed up at the door to see if I had any of his stuff and
    I handed him the album and he was very pleased and I closed the door. All in
    all I think I handled it well.

"Larry Travis" <ltravis@REMOOVETHIScochran-wilken.com> wrote in message
    news:vm1k1mktrhgna8@corp.supernews.com...
    This is one last followup to my ongoing saga with my former renters. For those who don't know, a young couple moved off my property after their
    lease
    expired and they left a lot of junk and personal items including a car. I gave them both ample time and notice to clear the stuff out or they could face small claims court. Both were very hard to get a hold of and
    although
    I know where the girl lives, the guy has disappeared and left no hint of where he has gone. I think it will be a lot of trouble to win in small claims and actually recover the cleanup costs from the couple. I would rather not go that route However, the girl has left her car behind and therein lies my final question. Does having her car give me any leverage in recovering my
    costs.
    Can I just hold on to it indefinitely and refuse to give it to her unless she pays for (at least half of) the cleanup? Is there a possibility of being able to sell the car if she refuses to ever pay me or claim the car? Is there any other way I could use the fact that she left the car to my advantage. By the way, I don't know if the car is fully paid for. Thanks in advance for any replies, LT

"B" <nospamblam@nc.rr.com> wrote in
    news:r588b.24657$AU.1231737@twister.southeast.rr.c om:
    Strangely, the same thing happened to me, except there was no car. I would let the police tow away the abandoned car because it is a registered and licensed thing that you don't want to mess with. In my case, I packed up the guy's stuff and notified his friends and relatives, and stuck everything in the garage for a week, and then threw out the junky stuff and saved the "good" stuff another few weeks, and gave stuff to the salvation army, etc., and finally I got rid of everything except his family photo album, and about 6 months later he showed up at the door to see if I had any of his stuff and I handed him the album and he was very pleased and I closed the door. All in all I think I handled it well.

Hmmm... perhaps in the case of the OP, he could load all the junk into the
    car, and then call the cops to tow it. I believe that they will then find
    the owner and charge them for the tow and storage. It's all rather poetic
    :-)

David W. wrote:>>
    "B" <nospamblam@nc.rr.com> wrote in news:r588b.24657$AU.1231737@twister.southeast.rr.c om:
    Strangely, the same thing happened to me, except there was no car. I would let the police tow away the abandoned car because it is a registered and licensed thing that you don't want to mess with. In my case, I packed up the guy's stuff and notified his friends and relatives, and stuck everything in the garage for a week, and then threw out the junky stuff and saved the "good" stuff another few weeks, and gave stuff to the salvation army, etc., and finally I got rid of everything except his family photo album, and about 6 months later he showed up at the door to see if I had any of his stuff and I handed him the album and he was very pleased and I closed the door. All in all I think I handled it well.

Hmmm... perhaps in the case of the OP, he could load all the junk into the car, and then call the cops to tow it. I believe that they will then find the owner and charge them for the tow and storage. It's all rather poetic :-)
    And do be sure to jam as much as you can into the front seat.

Haha, nice idea. Unfortunately the junk includes such items as a dog pen,
    old couch, metal desk, etc. Somewhat difficult to jam into the car. I
    have no problem with the idea of having the stuff taken away. It just
    doesn't seem fair that I am stuck with the $400 (!) bill to have it all
    done.

LT

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    news:bjrhbe02cu5@enews4.newsguy.com...
    David W. wrote:>>
    "B" <nospamblam@nc.rr.com> wrote in news:r588b.24657$AU.1231737@twister.southeast.rr.c om: Strangely, the same thing happened to me, except there was no car. I would let the police tow away the abandoned car because it is a registered and licensed thing that you don't want to mess with. In my case, I packed up the guy's stuff and notified his friends and relatives, and stuck everything in the garage for a week, and then threw out the junky stuff and saved the "good" stuff another few weeks, and gave stuff to the salvation army, etc., and finally I got rid of everything except his family photo album, and about 6 months later he showed up at the door to see if I had any of his stuff and I handed him the album and he was very pleased and I closed the door. All in all I think I handled it well. Hmmm... perhaps in the case of the OP, he could load all the junk into the car, and then call the cops to tow it. I believe that they will
    then
    find the owner and charge them for the tow and storage. It's all rather poetic :-) And do be sure to jam as much as you can into the front seat.

Contact a local lawyer. In California, there is a statutory provision for
    holdover possessions. It involves giving notice of abandonment, notice of
    sale, and public sale in certain situations.

"Larry Travis" <ltravis@REMOOVETHIScochran-wilken.com> wrote in message
    news:vm1k1mktrhgna8@corp.supernews.com...
    This is one last followup to my ongoing saga with my former renters. For those who don't know, a young couple moved off my property after their
    lease
    expired and they left a lot of junk and personal items including a car. I gave them both ample time and notice to clear the stuff out or they could face small claims court. Both were very hard to get a hold of and
    although
    I know where the girl lives, the guy has disappeared and left no hint of where he has gone. I think it will be a lot of trouble to win in small claims and actually recover the cleanup costs from the couple. I would rather not go that route However, the girl has left her car behind and therein lies my final question. Does having her car give me any leverage in recovering my
    costs.
    Can I just hold on to it indefinitely and refuse to give it to her unless she pays for (at least half of) the cleanup? Is there a possibility of being able to sell the car if she refuses to ever pay me or claim the car? Is there any other way I could use the fact that she left the car to my advantage. By the way, I don't know if the car is fully paid for. Thanks in advance for any replies, LT