Thread: How many hours can they make me work

Default How many hours can they make me work

I work at a Factory in Glasgow, Kentucky. They make me work 8 hours a day Sunday night through thursday night then 12 hours firday and saturday nights. I dont have a day off. They only give me a 15 min. lunch break, that isn't enough time to eat without making yourself sick from eating too fast. I just want to know can they make me work 7 days a week nonvoluntary?

michael

Quote Originally Posted by asbury3
    I work at a Factory in Glasgow, Kentucky. They make me work 8 hours a day Sunday night through thursday night then 12 hours firday and saturday nights. I dont have a day off. They only give me a 15 min. lunch break, that isn't enough time to eat without making yourself sick from eating too fast. I just want to know can they make me work 7 days a week nonvoluntary?

michael

Are you on hourly or salary? Do you get paid overtime for each hour over 40 in a work week?

Let's start with that and work from there.

Thanks,
    Sue

Default Mandatory Overtime

Your employer can make you work overtime. However, if you are eligible for overtime, you must be paid overtime.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

[QUOTE=asbury3]I work at a Factory in Glasgow, Kentucky. They make me work 8 hours a day Sunday night through thursday night then 12 hours firday and saturday nights. I dont have a day off. They only give me a 15 min. lunch break, that isn't enough time to eat without making yourself sick from eating too fast. I just want to know can they make me work 7 days a week nonvoluntary?

As far as break time, here is the state law for Kentucky:
    Kentucky: 10 minutes for every four hours worked.

You can find that info at: http://www.ewin.com/articles/restper.htm

So for the days you work 12 hours, you must be given at toal of 30 min. break time.

As to whether or not it is paid, it is as follows:
    Under 29 CFR 785.18 (Code of Federal Regulations) breaks of five to twenty minutes must be paid by the employer while, for a meal period to be unpaid, has to be at least 30 minutes uninterrupted by work. Note again, however, that federal law does not mandate breaks or meal periods.

In addition, for meal time, the law in your state is:
    KY = "Reasonable" amount of time for meal breaks.

Plus you must be paid time and a half for every hour over 40 in each work week worked.

Sue

Default How long can they make me work with out a break?

I am considered a part time hourly employee. As a rule I work 6 to 7 hours a day 6 days a week with no breaks, including lunch. Ok I can handle that but that means I do not usually work 40 hours in a week. My problem is that when my boss wants to take several days off in a row he expects me to work 12 hours a day with no break or lunch for several days. I do get over time for the hours over 80 in two week.

Can he work me for 12 straight hours with no break including lunch? This is a retail store and I am the only other employee other than him, so no break means no break. I work in Utah.

Kentucky has rest break and meal break requirements.
    http://www.labor.ky.gov/ows/employmentstandards/faq/

However, I would recommend calling the state Dept. of Labor to inquire about whether the requirement is not applicable when you are the only employee in the establishment. Many states have such an exception.

Other than that, though, there is no limit to how many hours an employer can require you to work.