Thread: Questions on maternity leave laws in CT.

Question Questions on maternity leave laws in CT.

I have been employed with my company since last September, 2005. I am now 18 weeks pregnant with a due date of October 4, 2006. At the time of my babies birth I will have been with my current company for one year making me eligible for 1 week of paid vacation, however, I am confused on the maternity laws in the state of CT. The company I work for is small, 15 full time employees so we don't qualify for FMLA. The employee handbook is very vague stating only that employees may eligible for 8 to 12 weeks for pregnancy disability. It doesn't state if this is paid or unpaid. We don't really have an "HR" person and in fact I am the guinea pig as the only other person in the company to have a baby worked on commission and was part time. I have been asked to write a proposal for my intentions for leave, re-assigning tasks to other employees, etc. My sister said she thought there was a law in CT. that stated an employee could take 6 weeks maternity for vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for c-section paid time off. Is this true? Or will whatever time off I take be unpaid as I currently suspect? I have also thought about possibly working part time from home during some of my maternity leave but don't know what the rules are surrounding that either. HELP!!

Super Moderator

CT's maternity leave laws apply only to companies with 75 employees or more.

At the present time, the only state where paid leave is required by law is California. Your employer may choose to offer paid leave; that's something you will have to ask them about. But the law does not require that they do so.

No law prohibits you from working part time IF your company agrees. That's between the two of you. IF your company offers short term disability (it is not required by law in CT - it is optional on the part of your employer) if you work at all it could affect your benefits, but that will depend on your policy.

Default CT Maternity leave issues

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question! In regards to short term disability, how does that work? I have all my dental and health benefits through my husband who has a better plan and I looked on my pay stub and did not see anything relating to STD or LTD. I will need to go back in our very vague employee manual and see if there is anything stated there, but I don't recall seeing anything. So I guess what you're saying is that my leave will probably be unpaid the 6, 8 or however long I decide to take...

Super Moderator

IF a disabilty policy existed and if you qualified for benefits, you would be paid a percentage of your salary (could be anything but anywhere between 50% and 70% is fairly standard) for the duration of the term of medical disability, which with a pregnancy is generally considered 6-8 weeks. However, as I mentioned, STD policies are optional in CT (and in most states - only five states mandate that employers participate in them or have state plans) and while it's possible that it's a 100% employer paid benefit, from what you are saying I think it's probable that your employer does not offer one.

Default maternity leave in ct

Knowing my company, it IS highly unlikely that they have a 100% paid STD policy covering employees, but I will ask that question. Thanks for your input thus far. I may have more questions once I begin the writing of my maternity leave proposal and re-review the small paragraphy in our employee handbook.

Super Moderator

Any time - that's what we're here for!