Thread: (Illinois) When i turn 17 can i move out?

Default (Illinois) When i turn 17 can i move out?

Right now i am 16 yr old female in illinois, an a junior. Im graduating early next yr which means after 1st semester i dont have to go bak for 2nd semseter but i still get to go to prom n graduate with my class. Well once its summer i wanna move to kentucky to live with my boyfriend, since im going to move there anyway to go to college but i dont wanna wait till im 18 cuz my b-day is in August and i kno its only like 3 months but i have been with him so far for alil over a year and a half and we have a long distance relationship so i juts wanna live with him as soon as possible. I dont have ne problems with my family and after im done with skool ill b liveing with my mom and i love her an all but i just wanna get out of this state, i love kentucky an that is were i feel at home. My friend told me i can move down there as long as im staying with him an not getting like an appartment or sumthing. I just wanted to ask to be sure that i can move out because my mom said i cant move out till im 18, she said its illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by xxjohnsbaby08xx@netscape.
    Right now i am 16 yr old female in illinois, an a junior. Im graduating early next yr which means after 1st semester i dont have to go bak for 2nd semseter but i still get to go to prom n graduate with my class. Well once its summer i wanna move to kentucky to live with my boyfriend, since im going to move there anyway to go to college but i dont wanna wait till im 18 cuz my b-day is in August and i kno its only like 3 months but i have been with him so far for alil over a year and a half and we have a long distance relationship so i juts wanna live with him as soon as possible. I dont have ne problems with my family and after im done with skool ill b liveing with my mom and i love her an all but i just wanna get out of this state, i love kentucky an that is were i feel at home. My friend told me i can move down there as long as im staying with him an not getting like an appartment or sumthing. I just wanted to ask to be sure that i can move out because my mom said i cant move out till im 18, she said its illegal.
    Well, the only information you have recieved that is correct is from your mom. You cannot move out at the age of 17 without having your parent's consent or being legally emancipated by the court. A court will ABSOLUTELY NOT emancipate you so you can go live with your boyfriend in another state. When you are 18, you are free to live where you want, but until that day, you stay where your mother says you stay.

If you were to go live with your bf, your mother could report you as a runaway and anyone you are staying with could face charges for harboring a runaway. This is not going to legally happen.

PS: if your boyfriend is a legal adult, you are really putting him at risk for the rest of his life. That's not very loving.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Default hmm

Ok i gotta ask, if my b/f is a legal adult how am i putting him at risk for the REST of his life?

Ok i gotta ask, if my b/f is a legal adult how am i putting him at risk for the REST of his life?
    Oh, nothing huge...just prison time and registering as a sex offender for the REST OF HIS LIFE! Do you have any idea what that means? If you don't think it could happen, read xena's posts about her son. It was not a case of a 35 year old man with a 12 year old girl. It was 2 teenagers, one (her son) just happened to be 18. The laws apply to you the same as they do to everybody else that has asked these questions.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

Default ok

ok i kno all that but once im 18 it doesnt matter how older he was from me cuz ill b a legalized adult, so as long as nuthing happens till im 18 ill b fine, my parents like him n his like me so its not like there gonna kall the police on me.

ok i kno all that but once im 18 it doesnt matter how older he was from me cuz ill b a legalized adult, so as long as nuthing happens till im 18 ill b fine, my parents like him n his like me so its not like there gonna kall the police on me.
    Once you are 18, you are free to see, date, sleep with or marry whoever you want. So, just be patient a little longer. Good luck.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

legal age of consent in illinois is 17 so legally she can sleep with whomever she feels at 17...

Super Moderator

And this thread is from four years ago and she's 20 years old now.

But the fact that the state will not prosecute a 17 year old's partner for stat rape does NOT mean that the parents have no say in what their 17 year old, minor child can and cannot do.