Thread: Salaried Employees - NV

Default Salaried Employees - NV

What are the laws concerning salaried employees in the State of Nevada?

If you are salaried, and work for 4 hours, is your employer required to pay you for the entire day?

Please advise...

Super Moderator

That depends on whether you are salaried exempt or salaried non-exempt.

If you are exempt, you have to be paid for the whole day (unless the time you did not work was covered under FMLA) but it is legal to dock your vacation, sick or personal time to cover it. Neither the Federal nor the state government cares what bucket the pay comes out of as long as you get all the dollars in your salary.

If you are non-exempt, you never have to be paid for time you do not work with two possible state-based exceptions, only one of which applies in Nevada. (In some circumstances if you take time off to vote, you have to be paid). While I grant you that it doesn't make much sense to call you salaried and then dock you for missing time, if you are non-exempt it is legal to do so.

Default thank you...!

thank you for your response...

i am not sure if i am exempt or non-exempt, because it was never specified, and i never signed any kind of contract. we just agreed on a salaried amount from the beginning. however, i had to take care of something, a legal issue at the courthouse, and now am being told i will be docked, so it is my choice, use my vacation time or get paid less if i don't want to use it.

is this legal?

i have worked a salaried job for years, and have never been docked for the occasional little amount of time i may have to take away from work for time to time. before this job, that is...

please advise...!!

Super Moderator

It is quite legal to require you to use your vacation time to cover it. But just being salaried is not enough to make you exempt; I don't know if you are or not either, so I don't know if it is legal for you to take it unpaid. They can require you to use your vacation time regardless of whether you are exempt or not.

Whether you are exempt or non-exempt is based on your job duties. It has nothing to do with what you agreed to and it has nothing to do with whether you signed a contract or not.

Red face >>

well...thank you...!!

because the only thing i was really concerned about was whether or not it was legal to dock me for the time...

now i know...so unfortunately i'll use my vacation time to cover the 4 hours...

i guess my former employers were just not looking for any opportunity to do something like this...i've never had anything happen like this before this job...

thank you for your time...!!