Thread: 1500 Hour Limit in Ohio?

Default 1500 Hour Limit in Ohio?

This is for part time employees in Ohio.
    There are a large number of employers in my area, including my own, that are starting to say that employers are required by law to provide benefits to any employee that works more that 1500 hours in a year. Benefits must be equal to that provided to a full time employee.

Due to this, Employer's, again including my own, are limiting all part time employee's to 1500 hours maximum a year to avoid the costs.

Can anyone advise me what law this is and where I may find it? Some employers are apparently getting around this by having employee's sign a waiver declining benefit rights, but my employer is not buying it. I'm looking for a legal way around this law for both my employer and employees. My employer is actually willing to allow over 1500 hrs in a year if they can legally avoid not providing benefits to part time employees.
    Thank you for any help!

Super Moderator

There is no such law. Or if there is, it's been implemented so recently that it hasn't made any of the HR journals yet.

Ask your employer for the statute number of the bill and, if he is actually able to come up with one, post it here. It would help if we could look at what he thinks he's seeing.

I just recieved an email from our assistant adminstrator.
    I'm not sure if it matters, but for more background, this concerns part time employee's of a township in Ohio.

The law they are refering to is Ohio Revised Code 505.60 (f) (1) that states:
    ""Part-time township employee" means a township employee who is hired with the expectation that the employee will work not more than one thousand five hundred hours in any year""

ORC 505.60 is "health and long-term care insurance". Being of non-legal background, the entire section is confusing to me... the law states township trustee's may procure and pay all or any part of cost of insurance... In the ORC, does "may" mean required, must, etc, or does the word have no legal requirement?

The section covers that employee's may choose not to participate. But also states that if an employee chooses not to participate, the township may reimburse the employee for each out-of-pocket premium....
    I think my township (employer) is reading the word "may" as "will, or must".

Thanks again for any help
    Last edited by Volldd; 03-08-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Super Moderator

Do you work for the township? If not, that law does not apply to you.

Yes I do work for the township as a part-time firefighter. Some neighboring agencies are limiting their part-timers to 1500 hrs to avoid paying benefits. Some are having employees sign a waiver declining any benifts, even if they work over 1500 hours, and some are simply letting their part time employees work over 1500 hours with no waiver, claiming the law does not require them to pay benefits if more than 1500 hours is worked.

MAY in the law means "allowed to". It does not require any activity occur. If it did, the law would say MUST.

The section about part-timers is listed as a "definition" for the other areas that mention part-timer employees.

So, this particular section of the Ohio Revised Code, that is filled with text stating how a township "may" provide health insurance to full time and "part-time" employee's, that at no point uses wording like "must", "shall", etc, does not necissarily guarantee that benefits have to be provided to employees by a township?

I know I am asking a lot from all of you, and I appreciate all input. I am just trying to figure out how the townships in the area are reading this law to state that they will be "required" to provide benefits to all of us who work more than 1500 hrs in a year.

Yes, that's what "May" means.