Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Emancipation laws in Indiana

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default Emancipation laws in Indiana

    I was wondering if it was at all possible for an emancipation from my parents in Indiana and what would be the criteria and rules for such an act. I would be more than happy to consider alternatives if there are any, but as of now i feel this is the only choice. I would love to have more information

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default

    IC 31-34-20-6
    The juvenile court may emancipate a child under section 1(5) of this chapter if the court finds that the child:
    (1) wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer needs that control and protection;
    (2) has sufficient money for the child's own support;
    (3) understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection; and
    (4) has an acceptable plan for independent living.


    Do you have a job and make enough money to fully support yourself? Enough to pay for rent, utilities, food, medical expenses, etc.? I assume your parents are going to contest this--do you have a VALID reason (reasons such as 'we just don't get along' 'I want more freedom' etc. are not valid reasons).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3

    Post

    Thank you for more information. I was just curious as to how long an emancipation would take, and where I should go and what I should do to have one. Im planning on waiting until i save up enough money for a car and get a good job. After that is it my responsibility to come up with an apartment and show that i have efficient funds for proper shelter, food, etc? I was also wondering if this takes place in a courtroom and what not. I appreciate the information and hope im not being a pest.

    Thank you.

    P.S. I was curious as to whether or not i would have to come up with an adult that was not within my blood relatives to speak on my behalf as to me being able to care for myself and take on the responibilities of an adult.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,343

    Default

    How old are you?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    16 years old

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blah1975
    Thank you for more information. I was just curious as to how long an emancipation would take, and where I should go and what I should do to have one. Im planning on waiting until i save up enough money for a car and get a good job. After that is it my responsibility to come up with an apartment and show that i have efficient funds for proper shelter, food, etc? I was also wondering if this takes place in a courtroom and what not. I appreciate the information and hope im not being a pest.

    Thank you.

    P.S. I was curious as to whether or not i would have to come up with an adult that was not within my blood relatives to speak on my behalf as to me being able to care for myself and take on the responibilities of an adult.
    Iím not from Indiana, and I donít know the specific requirements for your state. However, generally speaking:

    --you file a petition and pay a filing fee
    --a hearing is set (in front of a judge, but no jury)
    --Mom and Dad are notified of the hearing
    --Mom and Dad can contest the emancipation (if they do you better have a darn good reason why emancipation would be in your best interest)
    --the judge reviews the case and either grants or denies the petition

    The length of time it takes depends on many factors, but you can expect it to take several months. Youíd have to have a job FIRST before petitioning, and your income would have to be sufficient to pay all of your expenses. Youíd have to provide proof of that, such as paycheck stubs and a written financial plan/budget (listing income and expenses). There are states that require affidavits by unrelated persons stating that they have personal knowledge of the minor's circumstances, believe that emancipation would be in the minorís best interests, etc, etc. I donít know that your state does or does not require that.

    Hereís what I can tell you...emancipation is actually a very rare thing. Itís not as common or easy as most teenagers seem to think it is, especially when your parents contest it.

    My advice is to talk to a local attorney about it.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,343

    Default

    I don't know Indiana's specific laws on the subject either. I do know that not all states will emancipate a minor at all, and of those that will, not all will emancipate a 16 year old.

    As pty says, legal emancipation of a minor happens rarely. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi,
    I found this thread while searching Google for, "Minor emancipation laws", and i'd like to comment.

    I'm a 17 year old male, with my GED and a house downtown. I'll be living with my friend, and we will be splitting the cost of living in the house we already have. He's currently living there right now, and we're both very able to make ends meet.

    I have a good job, and im looking at a promotion to a trainer at the restraunt I work at with a raise and some benefits. I told my boss my plans to move out, and told him i'd no longer be able to work with them anymore, and he wants me to stay on as im one of his "best workers with a good attitude and a all around good guy to have", which means a lot considering most employees dont really work hard there, and I know it. He's offered to help me out with college and getting scholarships, he could speak on my behalf infront of a court if needed, and i'm sure he would.

    Now, I turn 18 in May, but i've been "on my own" for years basically. I buy my own clothes and food, bought my computer and my belongings. We're financially set, the family, but currently I just feel more as a burden here than anything else. I do not speak to family, they do not speak to me. Its a relationship that has grown to feel as if I live with strangers (Dad and stepmom) moreso than a family, but thats been alright with me. I come and go as I please, I do not get in trouble nor did I ever when I was in school. I do not drive, as I cant justify it being worth buying a car, paying insurance, and gas when I prefer to walk or bike everywhere. Its not uncommon for me to walk 10 miles through the woods and nature around here to get to where I need to go.

    I've yet to aproach this idea with my dad, who in the past has been lax with my other choices, but I feel as if they enjoy the $300 they get from my Mom each month (child support) to really 'let me go', despite I see NONE of that a month. I pay for my own glasses, and im healthy as can be so no medical bills are needed currently, but I hate for my mom, who is struggling financially, to have her money wasted on luxouries(sp) and things for my Dad and stepmom, because I know I dont use up $300 a month worth of electricity, water, and the rare meal I eat here.

    You think I have a good chance of being emancipated? I turn 18 in late May and all in all, the sooner I get out of the better. I'll be able to expand my hobbies (film making, photography, etc, all of which i've purchased equipment on my own, without help from parents) and try to make something out of that, and if not, Ivy Tech certainlly isnt bad at all.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Why worry about emancipation? You will be 18 in 2 months. Any court proceeding will take longer than that. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and I wish you the best the future can possibly hold.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks,

    Why now and not just wait two months? I'd really honestly prefer to get out of here as soon as possible. I'll just try to get my Dad to agree to 'let me go', and then perhaps him and my mom can figure out the support thing,or just have it stopped. (I think its terrible she has to spend that much money on me when I only "get" to see her every other weekend and she's not financially stable.)

    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I didnt feel the need to create a new thread seeing as Blah and myself are in the same boat.

  11. #11

    Question wondering

    would the fach that my parents are constently fighting i do laundry push mowing my 1/2 acar yard, cleaning , my dad being in the hosiptal in and out, i buy my own clothes work?

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,343

    Default

    Not likely. That doesn't make you any different from hundreds if not thousands of other teens all over the country.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilcraziguy08
    would the fach that my parents are constently fighting i do laundry push mowing my 1/2 acar yard, cleaning , my dad being in the hosiptal in and out, i buy my own clothes work?
    If you mean is that enough of a reason to get emancipated, then NO.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    No, those are reasonabe chores (oh I live for the day my kids are big enough to do the yard and their own laundry). Believe me, once you are on your own, there is no end to the list of things to be done.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pty
    If you mean is that enough of a reason to get emancipated, then NO.
    However, from what you stated above how would it not be?

    The juvenile court may emancipate a child under section 1(5) of this chapter if the court finds that the child:
    (1) wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer needs that control and protection;
    (2) has sufficient money for the child's own support;
    (3) understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection; and
    (4) has an acceptable plan for independent living.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but from what I gathered, I thought you just pretty much needed a way of presenting to a judge or whoever, "Hey, I can make it on my own. Here is how i'll make money, this is how i'll get to work, this is how much i'll make after taxes with X ammount left over after bills, etc etc."

    I'm only concerned because as I said above, i'm 17 and seek emancipation, and the only reason I really, honestly want emancipation is because I practically live on my own as it is; and have been for quite some time. That plus the fact I already have a house downtown that a friend and I just bought (not renting) (well its in his name, as he's 19, but we're still doing it 50-50 for the most part). We have plenty of money for it all, financially we're set. Money will not be a problem in any way, so its the least of my concerns.

    Anyway, can someone revise what I had said and tell me if I can indeed be emancipated? I'm not abused, my Dad or stepmom arent alcoholics or sexual predators. They're not meth heads or 'bad', just very distant and we never speak. Nothing more than a, "Hey" here and there, or a, "I'll be back later".

  16. #16
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,343

    Default

    If you're going to be 18 in May, you'll be able to leave and go live wherever you want to before you could be legally emancipated by the courts, even if you could, which I'm not certain you could based on what you've posted.

    You've got less than two months to wait before you're emancipated on the basis of your age. What's the massive rush?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGM
    I thought you just pretty much needed a way of presenting to a judge or whoever, "Hey, I can make it on my own. Here is how i'll make money, this is how i'll get to work, this is how much i'll make after taxes with X ammount left over after bills, etc etc."
    There is much more to it than that. A judge can deny emancipation for any reason they see fit. They will ask WHY the minor wants to be emancipated. I can promise you if the reason that's presented is because the minor has to do chores and buy their own clothes, it's not going to fly. Now granted, things are a little different if the minor's parents are supporting the emancipation, but most parents don't. And even then, I've known of cases (although not in IN) where emancipation was still denied.

    In your case, you might as well just hang in there until you're 18. There is no way that emancipation is going to happen in two months.

    Have you asked your parents if you can move out? I graduated high school several months before I turned 18 and moved out the next week. My parents didn't have a problem with it. Of course, I was moving out to go to college, but still...

    Quote Originally Posted by CGM
    I already have a house downtown that a friend and I just bought (not renting) (well its in his name, as he's 19, but we're still doing it 50-50 for the most part).
    Just a word of advice from someone who spent many years working in mortgage servicing--you NEED to get your name added to that deed, because without your name being on there, you have NO rights to the property. If your friendship sours (and it happens), then you may very well end up having to go to court over it.


    Edit:
    Okay, I went back and re-read your post. You haven't asked your parents if you can move out, but think they won't let you do it because of the child support they receive. ASK...they might surprise you.
    Last edited by pty; 03-30-2006 at 01:25 PM.

  18. #18

    Default

    well i was just being brief whenever i get a job they wont let me go and they make me do the most idiototic thing like i was butting my parents clothes in the washer and my mom calls me to hand he the phone that was at the end of the couch that she was sitting on. also the only thing she does is cook and after that she does abosutily nothing and my dad always is at work or in the hosiptal and that just put more pressure on me suring school and i really dont know what to do anymore

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,343

    Default

    Absolutely nothing you have described is sufficient for a judge to think you are worthy of emancipation, especially since you'll be 18 in less than two months anyway. You are wasting your time trying to have anything happen now.

  20. #20

    Red face

    im not the one thats getting ready to turn 18 but thanks for the advice

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Still not going to happen. Some people are just lazy. Wow, my mother used to call me downstairs to get her a glass of water while she was sitting on the couch 10 feet away from the kitchen. Parents can be really annoying, but that's why you get the chance to do things differently when you have kids. Just look at it as a way to remember what not to do to your kids.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17

    Arrow Emancipation....

    Well Ive done the emancipation and it takes around 6 months cause you have to get your case together and everything and prove stuff and have a good reason to wanna move out so if you really want that then good luck (its worth it in the en trust me) That is if you r partly unhappy where u r at now.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison County, Indiana
    Posts
    11

    Default

    My mother doesn't agree with the way that my best friends mom raises her children. Most of it has to do with guys and such. She allows her daughters boyfriend to spend the night, and she's allowed to stay over there, and she can be out til 3:30 in the morning on a school night, my mom simply doesn't agree with that. I figured I'd at least say something to my friend about it, but I didn't come out and say "my mother doesn't believe in the way she raises you." However, just recently I came out and told my mother that I had been skipping school a lot and of course she grounded me from just about everything. While I was grounded and my mother wasn't home I'd sneak out and go over to my best friend's house (which is right next door) to kind of "vent" to them. I've never been the one to talk to my mother about things. Just this past weekend, I snuck out of the house and spent the night with my friend who is 23. (I'm 16) This guy and I have been really close, almost best friends, over the past 2 years and my mom knows him and knows is age. Well my best friends mom wants to tell my mom about house I snuck out and spent the night over at his house. She thinks that we've had sex together. Which we have not. I can honestly say that I have kissed him, but that's been all. I don't want her to tell my mom that I've had sex with him when I have not, and my mom want to press charges on him, because he's done nothing wrong.

    I don't know if my mom will believe her, but I've been thinking lately about emancipating myself. I do believe my mom is a good mom, but she's the type of person to pick her boyfriend over her children. I have a job, I have my license, and I make enough money to support myself. Although, I don't know if I'm ready to emancipate myself, nor do I have a legit reason to do so yet.


    I know this is kinda all over the place, but I had to tell someone else the situation than just my friends.

  24. #24
    FlyinHawk
    Guest

    Default

    Start your own thread for better response

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1

    Question Emancipation

    Hey, i am 16 and i was wondering what would be considered a valid reason to be emancipated.

  26. #26

    Default

    Why not start your own thread rather than post on what started in 2006

Similar Threads

  1. Emancipation laws in Missouri?
    By Newport Panda in forum Missouri Family Law
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 09:49 PM
  2. !! Indiana Emancipation !!
    By Needing A Way Out in forum Indiana Family Law
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 01:46 PM
  3. Emancipation Laws in Kentucky
    By Bubba06 in forum Kentucky Family Law
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 08:37 AM
  4. Indiana Labor Law Posters
    By laborlaw in forum Indiana Labor Laws
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •