Thread: Connecticut - Misuse of Plates, etc.

Default Connecticut - Misuse of Plates, etc.

I got pulled over by a police officer who simply ran my plates with the new technology they have while I was on the road. No cause to do so, they simply have the technology (and apparently the RIGHT) to do this with no just cause.

I got a summons for Misuse of Plates (they were MY expired plates from a different car), Vehicle Unregistered (fiasco with CT title rules), and M/V without insurance, which I can only assume is Operating a Motor Vehicle without Insurance.

All of these things I am technically guilty of, and I need to know what is going to happen to me in court. Can anyone help me?
    Last edited by MikeyG; 02-27-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Default Sounds bad

Sounds to me like you were trying to get away with driving a vehicle without it being the least bit leagal to do so. Why were you drivingthis way? What happens when you get into an accident without insurance? Are you rich enough to pay for the other persons damage? Their medical bills? Just what did you expect the other person to do?

Why do I suspect that you have a 'screw you' attitude and that you just weren't going to worry about those things because 'that will never happen to you'. It is no joke when you have an accident, especially if it is your fault, and you don't have insurance to pay for the other peoples damages, and God forbid, medical costs. Suppose you hit someone with a child in their car? Who is supposed to pay for all of this?

Unless you can come up with an answer like "The car is really registered and insured and the police officer just made a mistake", I have no pity for you.

Sorry, no help here. Hire a lawyer. Then you will find out that it would have been cheaper to register and insure your car!! I will give you some advise though, I wouldn't walk into that courtroom without a lawyer. No insurance is a very serious charge.

I HAD insurance, and I still do...for my Toyota, which is no longer mine. Technically I have insurance on the plates but am behind in the payments. As far as I know, I wasn't asking for you to judge me, either.

Look down your nose all you want, but I came here to ask for a bit of LEGAL advice, like "What's the worst that can happen at court?". And if I am obviously too broke to be able to pay for my registration, how will I "come up with" the money to pay for a lawyer?

When I look for pity, it won't be from a random internet legal site. I'm asking what the worst outcome can be. Thanks, though.

P.S. - The only "screw you" attitude evident is in your reply.
    Last edited by MikeyG; 02-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Good call.

Default You are right

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG
    I HAD insurance, and I still do...for my Toyota, which is no longer mine. Technically I have insurance on the plates but am behind in the payments. As far as I know, I wasn't asking for you to judge me, either.

Look down your nose all you want, but I came here to ask for a bit of LEGAL advice, like "What's the worst that can happen at court?". And if I am obviously too broke to be able to pay for my registration, how will I "come up with" the money to pay for a lawyer?

When I look for pity, it won't be from a random internet legal site. I'm asking what the worst outcome can be. Thanks, though.

P.S. - The only "screw you" attitude evident is in your reply.

You are right MikeyG, I shouldn't judge you. A real judge has that job.

My best advise is to look up the statutes that you are charged with breaking. It will look something like this 39:4-98 or something similar looking. There will be a statute number next to each offense that you are charged with. I am sure that Conecticut must have a legislature site that will run through all of the statutes. I know that NJ does.
    You can probably use 'Google' to search for it. Try just searching for the statute number itself first. The statute will list the penalty for it in the narrative. That is the only way that you can find out what to expect short of hiring an attorney and asking him.

Everyone has the right to their day in court. I do not agree with driving with no insurance but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the right to appear before a judge and explain yourself. Be thoughtful as to what you might say MikeyG. Not being able to afford insurance is not going to fly with a judge as a reason. He will simply say then you shouldn't haven driven until you could afford it. Think harder than that as to what your defense might be. Many attorneys will give you a free consultation that might at least put you in the right direction as to how to plea or what to say in court.

Quote Originally Posted by martif
    You are right MikeyG, I shouldn't judge you. A real judge has that job.

My best advise is to look up the statutes that you are charged with breaking. It will look something like this 39:4-98 or something similar looking. There will be a statute number next to each offense that you are charged with. I am sure that Conecticut must have a legislature site that will run through all of the statutes. I know that NJ does.
    You can probably use 'Google' to search for it. Try just searching for the statute number itself first. The statute will list the penalty for it in the narrative. That is the only way that you can find out what to expect short of hiring an attorney and asking him.

Everyone has the right to their day in court. I do not agree with driving with no insurance but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the right to appear before a judge and explain yourself. Be thoughtful as to what you might say MikeyG. Not being able to afford insurance is not going to fly with a judge as a reason. He will simply say then you shouldn't haven driven until you could afford it. Think harder than that as to what your defense might be. Many attorneys will give you a free consultation that might at least put you in the right direction as to how to plea or what to say in court.
    I thank you truly for your advice.

Well usually they do not do something like this, so there must have been something suspicious about your vehicle and how you wre driving it. Also, it could be that unless you have a vanity plate, that certain license numbers go with certain types of cars, which could have been a trooper tipoff.