Thread: A US citizen to marry a UK citizen

Default A US citizen to marry a UK citizen

Hello,
    I have a question to anyone that can help me. I am a citizen of the US I want to marry a UK citizen. We want to get married in Las Vegas. The website for Nevada says all he needs is his passport. Can anyone tell me if this is true, is it really that easy?

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/clerk/marr...nformation.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance....

yes, email if you need more (am from the UK originaly and now filing for the I751)

Wild

Thanks for replying back. Did you get married to a US citizen?

yeah, sure did!!

Ok I'm new to the board, came across it by accident when I awas searching about the I-751 (more about that later) and don't feel that comfortable sharing lots information in public places but here goes. If it helps put you at ease all the better!

I am from the UK, and met my wife (from Michigan) on eharmony.com! The chemistry was there and in my heart I knew I was doing the right thing, but even though we had never met face to face, I knew she was the one.

I sold everything, the house, the car, everything and moved!

I came here on the 90 day visa waiver, and 2 weeks after I came over we met at 4am in the middle of nowhere! (it's a long drive from DE to MI, she lived in BFE and I was lost lol.

4 days later we moved out here to DE and 3 weeks after that we got married.

We went to INS, told them the situation (by this time the visa was about to expire) they told me that we had 6 monhs after the 90 visa expired to put in the 485 app along with the I130 work permit app etc.

The app went in January 2004, we had the 485 interview April 2004 which went really well and now we've just sent in the I751 application to have the conditions on the residency removed.

When we got married, all they needed was my passport and to see the visa waiver which was in the passport to issue the marriage license and we were good to go.

There are different rules that apply if you get married in the US or out of it, if you were to get married to him outside of the US, it's a long wait for evrything to go through before he can come over to stay.

Hope this helps, feel free to mail me if you need more, or if you feel more comfortable, get your fiancee to mail me...

Wild

Default need info please

Hi Wild that sounds a lot simpler than i have been led to believe ...what documents will i need if i do as i say below

I am from UK I met my boyfriend online in Nov 2004 ..he lives in Portland Oregon...i have just had a 3 months visit on a visa waiver .....we are both heartbroken
    that i have had to return back to UK.
    My query is this.....if i return there and we get married as soon as i do..what exactly happens then...what do we need to do for me to be able to stay there ..will they make me return to UK even tho i am married to a USA citizen....what can we do to prevent this happening ..
    Thank you very much...i will be very appreciative of any info you can give me regarding this
    Last edited by coolchik_uk; 03-20-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Default RE:Marriage in LAS VEGAS

Quote Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
    yes, email if you need more (am from the UK originaly and now filing for the I751)

Wild
    Make sure that your marriage in Las vegas is accepted by the Authorities in UK!
    Remember Jerrery Halls case! She and Mike Jager were married on the island of BALI,Indonesia.

After having 4 children and living for decades with Mike Jager,he had the arrogance to insist in the High Court in London(when Jerry sued him for alimony and setlement) THAT HE WAS NEVER MARIED TO HER!
    HIS SMART ATTORNEYS TOLD HIM THAT HIS MARRIAGE IN BALI WAS NEVER CERTIFIED IN A BRITISH FAMILY COURT.
    Then the lawyesr had to imply the doctrine of a "constructive trust" which in UK Family Law gives half of the property to the de-facto wife in case that the marriage was very long and the wife conributed to the business of her de-facto husband.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur
    Make sure that your marriage in Las vegas is accepted by the Authorities in UK!
    Remember Jerrery Halls case! She and Mike Jager were married on the island of BALI,Indonesia.

After having 4 children and living for decades with Mike Jager,he had the arrogance to insist in the High Court in London(when Jerry sued him for alimony and setlement) THAT HE WAS NEVER MARIED TO HER!
    HIS SMART ATTORNEYS TOLD HIM THAT HIS MARRIAGE IN BALI WAS NEVER CERTIFIED IN A BRITISH FAMILY COURT.
    Then the lawyesr had to imply the doctrine of a "constructive trust" which in UK Family Law gives half of the property to the de-facto wife in case that the marriage was very long and the wife conributed to the business of her de-facto husband.
    Ok 1 all marriges in the US are recognized by the UK and 2 I don't think she'll be suing her soon to be hubby in UK courts when she's living in the states!!

Wild

Thanks Wild...Angel

Default RE:Nevada does not recognise same sex unions!

Ok 1 all marriges in the US are recognized by the UK and 2 I don't think she'll be suing her soon to be hubby in UK courts when she's living in the states!!

Wild
    1..How do you know that all "marriages "formed in USA are recognised in UK?

Have you asked the Home Office in UK?

2.What do you mean by "suing her"? I think she is marrying an American man.

I do not know in which state they are planning to leave but i can ONLY say that thre DIVORCE LAW is very different from state to state in USA!

In TEXAS e.g. a wife can claim an alimony(a maintenance) ONLY 3 years after the dissolution of a marriage.

In some staetes(MID-WEST e.g.) the wife does not have any right for maintenance.She can ONLY claim a settlement.

Therefore in case of divorce may be it will be recomendable to sue in UK Court as the UK Family Law is much more generous to women and EVEN if the deeds are on the name of the husband the courts say that the wife have right to get half of the assets gained during a marriage.

In some states in USA the wife does NOT get anything if the deeds are in the name of the husband.
    If you know the law better than me ,you could open your Law Firm in Beverly hills,CA.

Thanks for your input, but what I think Wild was trying to say was that I am not planning on divorcing my soon to be hubby. I am an American, and my finacee is a British National. US weddings are recognized in the UK, and Wild has been through that, that is how he knows. A marriage is until death do you part and I hope that I don't have to divorce him or claim alimony, if I doubted that at anytime, the day he asked me to marry him I would have said no. Again thanks for your input but don't be mean to Wild he knows what he is talking about.

Default Re:until Death Does Part Us...

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicamarie
    Thanks for your input, but what I think Wild was trying to say was that I am not planning on divorcing my soon to be hubby. I am an American, and my finacee is a British National. US weddings are recognized in the UK, and Wild has been through that, that is how he knows. A marriage is until death do you part and I hope that I don't have to divorce him or claim alimony, if I doubted that at anytime, the day he asked me to marry him I would have said no. Again thanks for your input but don't be mean to Wild he knows what he is talking about.

IF WILD KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT WHY HE IS GIVING A WRONG INFORMATION!
    I know the Imigration Law well.There is not a way that CIS extended his Visa Waver.Firstly the I-94 is not stamped in the passport...it is a green form which is atached on the passport.
    Visa Waver means that he did NOT have ANY VISA....and if you do not have anything can not be changed into something.

I will believe that he got K-1(fiancee visa) but it is ONLY for 90 days and NOT 6 months how he is saying.

As for your marriage to a UK citizen I wish that it last until you both die.

My experience in Law offices is different.May be you do not plan to divorce him but it takes two people to sustain a marriage.
    YOU NEVER KNOW,DEAR,WHAT LIFE WILL BRING!

ya know, you try and help and someone comes and CLAIMS to know what they are talking about, except they can't read, or don't take the time to.

1) Don't tell me what visa I cam in on, I should know, I came here
    2) if you'd bother to read my post PROPERLY, I never at any time said that they extended my I94, nor did I say they stamped my pasport or anything like that.

I said... and I'll repeat, IMIGRATION told me that we had up to 6 months to file the paperwork after we were married!!! the fact theat the I94 had by that time expired, didn't matter as I was here in the US, Married and just needed to file.

Now I'm going to get personal, Instead of trying to put people down, why don't you get your head out of your ***, stop being so bitter and get on with YOUR OWN LIFE.

You claim to know ohhh sooo much, but I haven't heard anything come out of your mouth other than negetive ****, so piss off, learn to read and go and eat your wheaties!

Wild

ya know, you try and help and someone comes and CLAIMS to know what they are talking about, except they can't read, or don't take the time to.

2) if you'd bother to read my post PROPERLY, I never at any time said that they extended my I94, nor did I say they stamped my pasport or anything like that.

I said... and I'll repeat, IMIGRATION told me that we had up to 6 months to file the paperwork after we were married!!! the fact theat the I94 had by that time expired, didn't matter as I was here in the US, Married and just needed to file.

Now I'm going to get personal, Instead of trying to put people down, why don't you get your head out of your ***, stop being so bitter and get on with YOUR OWN LIFE.

You claim to know ohhh sooo much, but I haven't heard anything come out of your mouth other than negetive ****, so piss off, learn to read and go and eat your wheaties!

Wild

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR PRIMITIVE INSULTING LANGUAGE!

I SUJEST GO TO DODD SCHOOL OF LAW AND POLISH YOUR LEGAL KNOWLEDGE!
    IF YOU ARE IN USA OR ON THE MOON ...I DO NOT GIVE A DIME!

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR PRIMITIVE INSULTING LANGUAGE!

I SUJEST GO TO DODD SCHOOL OF LAW AND POLISH YOUR LEGAL KNOWLEDGE!
    IF YOU ARE IN USA OR ON THE MOON ...I DO NOT GIVE A DIME!

LEARN TO EXPRESS YOURSELF CLEARLY AND PRECISELY!
    IT IS A LEGAL THREAD AND LAWYERS ARE TAUGHT TO SPEAK IN SUCH WAY THAT THE JURY UNDERSTANDS THEM!

Default Re:imigration Told Me...

Wild
    Dear Mr.WILDLAWYER!

Imigration can not tell you anything...because Imigration is NOT a person;it is only a noun;it is a legal term!

I sujest you return to school and educate yourself!

IF WILD KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT WHY HE IS GIVING A WRONG INFORMATION!
    I know the Imigration Law well.There is not a way that CIS extended his Visa Waver.Firstly the I-94 is not stamped in the passport...it is a green form which is atached on the passport.
    Visa Waver means that he did NOT have ANY VISA....and if you do not have anything can not be changed into something.

I will believe that he got K-1(fiancee visa) but it is ONLY for 90 days and NOT 6 months how he is saying.

As for your marriage to a UK citizen I wish that it last until you both die.

My experience in Law offices is different.May be you do not plan to divorce him but it takes two people to sustain a marriage.
    YOU NEVER KNOW,DEAR,WHAT LIFE WILL BRING!

Well then honey if you are so intent on putting down Wild about his grammar, then let me tell you something it's spelled SUGGEST not SUJEST so before you chat **** about anyone else look in the mirror. Shall we proof read your post.... lets see then "IF WILD KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT WHY HE IS GIVING A WRONG INFORMATION!" It shouldn't be "giving a wrong information" it should be giving incorrect information....tisk tisk tisk. "Firstly the I-94 is not stamped in the passport", that should be Firstly, you can't forget the comma!! "As for your marriage to a UK citizen I wish that it last until you both die" as for that comment....honey, don't be jealous I mean I know I am pretty, but I am taken already sorry! Well I would love to sit here and proof your post, but I have got to be in class by 13:00. Wild thanks for all your help and don't worry about his comments, and when I have more time I will come back and finish proofreading his post!

Default Re:does A German Lawyer Need To Write Perfect English If He Lives In Berlin,germany ?

My dera AngelcaMaree!

YOU CAN OFFEND ME AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!!!!!!!!
    DO YOU SPEAK GERMAN? YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WRITE AND SPEAK YOUR OWN MOTHER LANGUAGE PROPERLY!

I do not live in USA and do not have any intent to live there.

I live in Berlin;Geramany and I studied LAW in Berlin and one year I was in UC Berkeley,in the Law School for LLM.
    Beside this I am NOT an English teacher...I am a lawyer,working at he moment in a Law office in Berlin.

Usually I never type...we ,here at White&Chase have legal secretaties doing the typing.

all what i need to know ...IS THE LAW...AND NOT THE ENGLISH GRAMMAR!

If you do not believe...look in the yellow pages of BERLIN Germany and you will find the law firm"White&Page".It is in the center of Berlin,at the subway station Uhlandstrasse.

Default Re:is This Aforum About Law Or About English Grammar?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicamarie
    Well then honey if you are so intent on putting down Wild about his grammar, then let me tell you something it's spelled SUGGEST not SUJEST so before you chat **** about anyone else look in the mirror. Shall we proof read your post.... lets see then "IF WILD KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT WHY HE IS GIVING A WRONG INFORMATION!" It shouldn't be "giving a wrong information" it should be giving incorrect information....tisk tisk tisk. "Firstly the I-94 is not stamped in the passport", that should be Firstly, you can't forget the comma!! "As for your marriage to a UK citizen I wish that it last until you both die" as for that comment....honey, don't be jealous I mean I know I am pretty, but I am taken already sorry! Well I would love to sit here and proof your post, but I have got to be in class by 13:00. Wild thanks for all your help and don't worry about his comments, and when I have more time I will come back and finish proofreading his post!
    You,stupid!
    I am 56 years old and I am NOT jelous of your marriages at all.I am married already and have a 25 years old son.
    I JUST wanted to explain you the Family law.

Default New to this board, but have just done what your enquiring about if interested..

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicamarie View Post
    Hello,
    I have a question to anyone that can help me. I am a citizen of the US I want to marry a UK citizen. We want to get married in Las Vegas. The website for Nevada says all he needs is his passport. Can anyone tell me if this is true, is it really that easy?

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/clerk/marr...nformation.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance....
    Hi Angelicamarie, just joined this board and have done what you have asked about if your still looking for answers .......... Yes, all the guy needs is his passport, but if you intend to live and work in the UK getting a visa to do so is a bit more involved. post back if you need any more information.

Default A bit confused

I am in the same situation, and from what I understand the two people must meet face to face at least once, the other must return to there native counrty and on the next meet a marrage can take place?... am I incorrect?